Pomsky Puppy is a dog, bred from the combination of Siberian Husky and Pomeranian dog breeds. It is even commonly called as a designer dog.The long speculations and debates regarding the origin of its existence were put to rest in the year 2012 by two friends from Arizona, Tressa Peterson, and Joline Phillips.
Tressa Peterson is the owner of Apex Pomskies and Joline Phillips owns Arctic Design Pomskies. They were the pioneers in launching the pomsky dog breed and they created the pomsky dog breed by artificially transferring the semen of a Pomeranian adult male dog into a female Siberian Husky breed dog.
Must Read: What Foods Dogs Can/Cannot Eat?
In The Article
Pomsky Puppy Temperament
The temperament and traits of a dog are generally known to be different as it is also based on the treatment of its owner/trainer. However, it is stated that pomsky puppies have inherited the temperamental qualities from its parents, the Pomeranian and the Husky dog breeds. The temperament and other qualities of a dog.
- Generally, Pomsky puppies are seen to like its owner and moves in an amicable manner with him/her and also with all the family members
- It can socialize well with all individuals but it must be trained very early right from the time it arrives at the home of its owner
- It is highly intelligent and can react instantly to any sort of situation because of its amazing energy levels
- Pomsky puppies are noted to get along well with children due to its playful attitude
- Pomsky puppies show a lot of confidence while facing dangerous situations and protect its owner from the risks caused by robbers, strangers and during the dark time
- Pomsky puppies can be easily trained because it has that eagerness for learning. If the owner gives treats or rewards, these puppies get delighted
Pomsky Full Grown Sizes
It must be understood that the size of an adult pomsky (both its height and weight) is determined by the size of its parents and the nature of cross breed that it is bred with. A pomsky adult appears to be a trifle lengthier than its build.
A small size adult pomsky is found to weigh around 15 pounds when a small size Pomeranian is bred with a small size Husky. Generally, small size pomsky is found to be lower in size in terms of weight and height. It is notable that the length of an adult pomsky in terms of measurement from its chest to the rear would be in the range of 12 to 17 inches.
It is however noted that the average height of an adult Pomsky is between 10 inches to 15 inches. The stated average height will be there in the adult Pomsky if the height of its parents, the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky is in the range of 8 inches to 11 inches and between 20 to 22 inches.
In respect of the average weight of this dog, it is somewhere between 20 pounds to 30 pounds. This average weight will be found in a Pomsky if the Pomeranian is between 3 to 7 pounds and the Siberian Husky is between 35 to 50 pounds.
Pomsky Puppies Traits
To put forth the characteristics or traits of pomsky puppies, it can be mentioned that:
- The Pomsky puppies are generally noted to obey the commands of its owners very well
- Loyalty is another key characteristic of this dog and it is indeed considered majorly as trustworthy by those who take care of it.
- Pomsky puppies are highly athletic and they can run really fast and can even be good high jumpers
- Pomsky puppies, like most of the dog breeds, have that expectation to be really taken care of very well by its owners and it reciprocates with its affection
- Pomsky puppies have the inherited characteristic of dynamism from its parents, Pomeranian and Siberian Husky
- Pomsky puppies are generally noted to show good interest in exercises and it depends on the trainer or owner to utilize this trait in the best way possible
- Pomsky puppy can be a puzzle when it comes to the barking factor since its parents have a mixed character. Pomeranian bark loudly and frequently also while Siberian Husky occasionally barks
Pomsky Puppy Types
Pomsky is a hybrid dog breed that comprises the mix of Pomeranian dog breed and Siberian Husky dog breed. There are five kinds of pomsky puppies that are noticeable in the USA. It can appear in different colours, shapes, and sizes. They are:
1. Foxy Pomsky
This is the prominent or popular breed that is sought after, currently. These dogs have a slim appearance and look like a fox after being groomed. This pomsky has a bone structure that is akin to that of a Husky and the frame looks similar to that of a Pomeranian. This kind of dogs can vary in terms of its stature. These dogs generally are seen to have a body weight of 20 to 30 lbs.
2. Plush Husky
The facial features of this dog show a clear mix of Pomeranian and Husky dog breeds. The fur of Plush Husky is really attractive. Some salient features of this dog are its small-sized appearance, fluffy coat, husky colour markings on the body, a short broad nose and muzzle and a thick curled tail. These dogs normally weigh 20 lbs.
This dog breed has also become famous through being widely viewable on the internet. Several breeders and owners until now are getting impressed until now due to its beautiful look.
3. Pure White Stunner
This dog has that really stunning look, it is seen mostly in white colour. Nevertheless, its colour variation could be in red, grey, brown and black. It has a short coat and subtle facial features. The weight of this dog can be in the range of 25 to 35 lbs.
Many people wish to own this dog and several inquiries are received by its respective owners in this regard. However, this dog breed is still mistaken by many people to be belonging to some other breed
4. Blue Eyed Brownie
The physical features of this dog are deep blue eyes, lengthy double-layered coating and brown-coloured markings across its body. Blue-eyed brownie dogs appear in different sizes. This kind of dog is also largely in demand, especially because of things like its eye colour and general colour pattern of its body.
5. Short Hair Cutie
This dog is known for its highly distinctive and attractive coat and it is easy to find when compared with the previously stated dogs. Short Hair cutie can come in different colours, sizes, and shapes. It can be definitely mentioned that this dog has an equal mix of its parents Pomeranian and Siberian Husky when it comes to its appearance.
In terms of variation, Pomsky dogs can be available as:
- Pomsky bred with the 50/50 mix – This is the most commonly found Pomsky dog variety. It means that the breeding of a pure Pomeranian and pure Siberian Husky results in this kind of a Pomsky. Pomsky dogs with this bred design (50/50) will be having the body of a Pomeranian and characteristics like that of a Husky.
- Pomsky bred with the 25/75 mix – The breeding mix in this category shows that the Pomsky to be bred with a genetic makeup that comprises 75% of that of a Pomeranian (75%) and the rest of the 25% from that of a Husky. Upon comparison with the 50/50 mix variation, this kind of Pomsky will have characteristics that mainly will be like that of a Pomeranian.
- Pomsky bred with the 75/25 mix – This is a crossbreed Pomsky dog that comes from the combination of a 50/50 Pomsky and a pure Siberian Husky. This means that 75% of the mix constitutes Husky and 25% from Pomeranian. It is noted that breeders who breed this kind of Pomsky dogs involve in breeding only in the future. This Pomsky will be small in size than the female Siberian Husky while its appearance and actions will be identical to that of a Husky.
Pomsky Life Span
The Pomsky dog is a crossbreed dog between the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky breeds where each one of those two breeds has a different lifespan. The longevity of a normal Siberian Husky is generally noticed to be in the age range of 12 years to 14 years whilst the small size Pomeranian dogs can live up to 15 years of age.
The average lifespan of a pomsky dog is noted to live for a maximum age of between 13 years to 15 years but this applies to dogs of normal health. The lifespan of a pomsky dog could even extend slightly more if it is well maintained and is in excellent health.
There is a general belief that is prevalent that even includes some set of professionals stating that cross-bred dogs are more healthy than full breed dogs. Pomsky is a new designer breed dog and can live longer if its health is well maintained by the respective owner.
Pomsky Dog Health Problems
Since it is a new breed, reports of Pomsky suffering from major ailments have not yet been received. Dental problems seem to be the only disease that is reported with respect to the Pomsky puppy. However, health professionals and related field experts opine that since it is a cross breed dog between the Pomeranian and Siberian Husky, it could suffer from a host of diseases in the near future. So, genetic diseases could strike the Pomskies, anytime in the future.
Pomeranian dogs and Siberian Husky, nevertheless are known to suffer from various diseases.
Some of the diseases that can be mentioned are
- Patellar luxation
- Skin disease
- Heart problems
- Collapsed trachea
Symptoms, causes, and Prevention of Dental problems in Pomsky dogs
Symptoms of dental problems that Pomsky dogs show:
- experience bleeding in its gums
- developing the problem of bad breath
- Swelling of its cheeks
- Yellow or brown stains appear on its teeth
- Losing out some teeth
- Swelling below its eyes
- Its gums show an inflamed or reddish look
- Running Nose
- Appetite Loss
- Weight Loss
Causes of Dental Problems
- Lack of nutrition
- Streptococcus bacteria formation
- Not being groomed regularly or occasionally by its owner/trainer
- Formation of Crowded Teeth
Treatment and Preventive steps
- Involve in routine brushing of its teeth
- Apply fluoride/s to its teeth
- Feed the right raw diet to the Pomsky dog
- Keep monitoring your dog’s mouth daily for finding if it has a bad breath problem
- Take the dog for a periodic dental checkup once in every 6 months to a veterinarian
Dental health also plays a crucial role in determining the health of a Pomsky dog. This problem could be related to the parents of the Pomskies, the Pomeranian, and the Siberian Husky. If the dental problems are left unattended for over a long period, it could even lead to fatal consequences like death.
Pomsky Puppy Price
The price of a pomsky puppy can be bought in the USA market from a price range of $800 to a maximum of $5000 or maybe even more. A pomsky puppy can be purchased from either a pet store or a breeder.
However, there are a lot of factors that are involved in the pricing of a pomsky puppy. It differs based on the breeder, quality of this pomsky breed and the value of its parents (the Pomeranian and the Husky).
Eminent breeders tend to follow pricing of their pomskies based on the value of its parents, Pomeranian and the Husky. They definitely charge a premium price for the buyer.
It is also important to note that a higher price will be charged from the buyers of Pomsky dogs if the lineage of the parents of this dog breed is proven through AKC (American Kennels Club) papers.
It is notable that pomsky puppies can be available in the UK pet market from the range of $550 to $2500 or even higher and it is fixed based on various parameters
Interesting Facts On Pomsky Puppies
- The five most popular Pomsky dogs on the internet are Oreo, Norman, Mya, Toby, and Lil Rufo. By the by, Norman has more than 97.9k fans on Instagram.
- Olympic skaters Adrian Diaz and Madison Hubbel own ‘Supernova’, a cute looking Pomsky dog.
- Pomskies are only been around for 20 years and they now have dedicated clubs in both America and Canada .
- Bear in mind Pomskies are simply not Teacups. Firstly, Teacup Pomeranians do not fall under the category of a dog breed. For example, they are a result of breeding two poms to finally get a smaller version.
- Mostly, a Pomsky puppy is like a big bag full of goodies because you never really know what you will finally get. Yes, Pomskies can ultimately inherit any of their parent’s temperament or traits.
- Moreover, Pomskies are not recognized officially by international breed clubs including Kennel Club, UK.
- It has become an assertive statement presently from a section of masses that it takes a lot of time to brushing or combing the Pomsky to upkeep its coat and overall appearance They state that taking care of this dog will be equivalent to that of a part-time job
Best Names For Your Pomsky Puppies
The best names for your male pomsky puppy can be:
The best names for your female pomsky puppy can be:
Locations in UK
- Katie Brooke Kennels
Newcastle West, Co Limerick
Tel.: (00353) 86 025 8892
E-mail Id: email@example.com
- Cocoa Frost Pomskies
Address: Lipton, West Yorkshire
E-mail Id: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prestige Pomskies
E-mail Id: email@example.com
Locations in USA