It was well said by Deepak Chopra that “The best use of imagination is creativity and the worst use of imagination is anxiety”.
With reference to that, we understand that overthinking and negative imaginations are the two main reasons behind anxiety attack.
Yes, we all have situations that make us overthink on what would happen next or why we made the wrong move earlier.
At that situation, all that we need to understand is that, as humans, it is natural for us to make mistakes and that we have no control over the past and the future.
So worrying about things which we have no control of is of no use. So it is best to accept ourselves just as we are and work towards the betterment of ourselves.
In The Article
What Is Anxiety Attack?
An anxiety attack is an unexpected occurrence of extreme fear which is followed by several physical reactions.
It is a combination of several emotions with intense fear which is experienced when feeling nervous or worried. An anxiety attack is unpredictable as is happens suddenly in both a calm state or in an anxious state.
Symptoms Of Anxiety Attack
The symptoms of an anxiety attack are similar to that of a panic attack.
- Trembling or shaking
- Pounding heart or accelerated heart
- Discomfort or chest pain
- Nausea or abdominal stress
- Feeling light-headed, dizzy, faint or unsteady
- Chills or heat sensation
- Numbness or tingling sensation
- Fear of losing control or dying
Causes Of Anxiety Attack
We all assume that anxiety is caused due to stress that eventually leads to an anxiety attack which is partially true though the exact causes are unknown.
Evidence suggests two main causes of an anxiety attack. They are changes involved in the brain and environmental stress.
Severe stress or long-term stress issues change the way the brain responds to such situations. There must be a lot of added anxiety as well as stress before an anxiety attack occurs.
Treatments For Anxiety Attack
Anxiety can be treated at home to an extent depending on the intensity rate of anxiety and the duration it lasts for.
- Learning to cope up with stress by adopting time management and scheduling work period.
- Practicing deep abdominal breathing exercises.
- Exploring various relaxation techniques such as reading books of one’s own favorite genre.
- Getting involved in meditation, yoga or chanting of prayers.
- Replacing “negative thinking and talks” with “positive thinking and talks”.
- Practicing to picture themselves successfully facing and then conquering the fear.
- Talking to a person who is reliable. trustworthy and supportive.
- Indulging in physical exercises
How To Deal With Anxiety Attack?
Once you feel you are undergoing an anxiety attack, there are several easy measures that can be taken to get out of it at the earliest.
Steps to be taken, as soon as you feel an attack:
- Take deep slow breaths to the count of 3, hold your breath for three counts, and slowly release it for three counts. Repeat it till you feel calmer and relaxed.
- Massage yourself or head to a spa immediately.
- Repeat a scripture verse or bible phrase that brings you comfort, such as “when I’m afraid I will trust in you”(psalm56:3)
- Spend time with your pet.
- Laugh it off.
- Have an exit plan.
- Go for a walk or change your environment.
Anxiety Attack (Vs) Panic Attack
An anxiety attack and panic attack share both similarities and differences between them. The differences are listed below for a better understanding.
- An anxiety attack is basically what is experienced when we ourselves start worrying about some future event. To be precise, it is anticipating a bad outcome that might happen in the near future. It involves muscle tension, discomfort, excessive sweat, and fast or irregular heartbeat. The onset is usually gradual.
- Panic attack, on the other hand, is different as it is associated with the very abrupt onset or occurrence of intense fear due to a sense of threat happening at that moment. It is usually quick and more intense. The panic attack consists of choking, chest pain, shaking, etc.
Anxiety Attack Medications
There are several drug options available for treating anxiety.
The most commonly used ones
- Ativan (lorazepam)
- Valium (diazepam)
- Xanax or Niravam (alprazolam)
- Klonopin (clonazepam)
Benzodiazepines are effective in quickly relieving the symptoms of anxiety within a short period of time as it works quickly. Benzodiazepines can also be used with an anti-depressant.
Eventually, in the long run, people tend to build up a tolerance to it that is they will require the constant increase in dosage of the drug to get the same amount of drug effects.
Some people may even become dependent on their medication. When they suddenly stop consuming the drug they may suffer from unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
Therefore it is important to follow the doctor’s instructions carefully at all times.
Side effects of Benzodiazepines
- Blurred vision
Techniques To Getting Rid Of Anxiety
Seeking for counseling help – Counseling is a form of treatment for anxiety. Talking to a counselor and sharing thoughts can help in many ways.
Counseling points out the exact causes of anxiety and gives the understanding to come up with it successfully.
There are many therapies available for counseling. One of the commonly prescribed therapies is cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – this helps in recognizing how thoughts affect both feeling and behavior and help us manage problems through controlling our thoughts.
CBT is a combination of two approaches. They are examining their thoughts and behavior. This helps to break any overpowering problem down into small and manageable tasks.
Tips To Calm Anxiety Attack
- Engage yourself in healthy activities like joining a sport
- Join a support group
- Quit cigarettes smoking, alcohol consumption and other unhealthy habits
- Adopt a healthier lifestyle
- Stay active and eat healthily
- Focus on easy and sufficient breathing pattern
- Start maintaining a personal diary to keep track of your daily activities
Anxiety Attack Help Centers In America
Let’s look at some of the well-known anxiety treatment centers in the United States
- The Anxiety Treatment Center – Sacramento, CA
- Panic/Anxiety Recovery Center – Chicago, IL
- Hudson Valley Center for Cognitive Therapy – New York, NY
- Discover Ranch – Mapleton, UT (Teens Only)
- Remuda Ranch – Wickenburg, AZ