Addiction is a brain disorder where people don’t have control over their behavior and reach a point that is harmful to their own physical mental and psychological behavior.
It may be due to dependence on a substance or may be due to behavioral inclination. It can happen to anybody at any time. People from 6 to 60 are vulnerable to this disorder.
Certain substances, if used regularly alter the chemicals in the brain temporarily and give pleasure for a while.
There are certain psychological dependencies like sex, gambling, the internet, drugs, exercise and even work. Addiction originates from a habit.
Then habit gradually becomes an addiction. If you can control your preferences, you are lined up in a habit. On the other hand, if you are not in control of your preferences, you drop beneath addiction.
Addiction can lead to very serious problems for oneself. It alters your character and drives you crazy. It symbolizes that your actions are beyond your own voluntary control.
It may be considered a disease or a mental weakness.
People may tend to be pulled towards certain substances like alcohol and drugs, food, marijuana, and painkillers such as heroin, sedatives, cocaine, and tobacco for pleasure, to relieve stress, curiosity or peer pressure and finally get trapped under the full control of them unknowingly.
Symptoms of Addiction
Symptoms include impaired control such as a craving for the use of a certain substance or pleasure to do the same thing again and again at work, home or school.
Is Addiction Treatable?
Yes. A combination of medication and individual or group therapy is available.
- outpatient programs
- therapeutic communities
There are many risk factors like age, genetic factors, environmental factors, and psychological factors. Denial is the biggest risk element of addiction.
Effects of Addiction
Substances adopted by those who are addicted stimulate the pleasure center of the brain due to neurotransmitters such as dopamine and GABA. The effect of addiction is high-priced damage.
Due to the regular intake of drugs, the behavioral change caused by drugs leads many people to the level of even losing their precious lives… Alcohol intoxication is associated with 31% of fatal injuries, and 23% of completed suicides.
The most serious consequences of addiction are damages in social, emotional and psychological states. Even if an addict wants to, it is impossible to get out of it without proper therapy.
At times, people who are addicted to drugs will even largely disturb their normal eating and sleeping habits.
Addiction will have a serious effect on one’s personality. People who are addicted to drugs may show behavioral changes like indulging in acts like lying or stealing to satiate their desires.
Regular drugs consumption by such affected persons will result in their memory loss, inability to think and mood swings.
The destruction that this does to their families and self-respect will be grave and recuperation will take quite long. We shall look into different types of addictions and treatments.
In The Article
What is a Gambling Addiction?
Gambling Addiction is a disorder where the person who is addicted place more bets frequently. It can be going to the casino or playing slot machines or overnight poker games or sports betting or gambling online.
They bet more than originally intended. Frequent involvement in gambling ends up in suicide also. They take up their own life.
Symptoms of Gambling Addiction
- Feeling the need to be secretive about gambling, having trouble to control gambling, and you do gambling when you don’t even have money to spend.
- Making a bet, entering a raffle and purchasing lottery tickets are also other patterns of gambling.
- When a person has financial problems, he believes that he can acquire more in gambling.
Effects of Gambling Addiction
Excessive gambling habit is reported to cause huge losses including legal problems, divorce, losing careers and more.
People initially start gambling for fun but later they become addicted to it and end up in financial disaster. Gambling disorder is also known as pathological gambling or compulsive gambling.
- Gambling not only destroys an individual’s life, but it also spoils the life of those who are dependent on the person like husband, wife, and children.
- Anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts are the emotional symptoms of gambling.
- Physical symptoms include weight loss or weight gain, acne, dark circles in the under the eye, lack of sleep and pale skin.
- Most gamblers get into other the vices like drugs and alcohol and other illegal activities.
- According to the National Council on Problem Gambling, gambling affects more than 2 percent of Americans.
- Adductors may go into gambling even in negative situations like financial crisis, social and legal consequences. They avoid work and other commitments just to gamble.
Treatment For Gambling Addiction
Gambling addiction is treated by the following methods:
- Inpatient rehabilitation program
- Outpatient rehabilitation program
- Twelve-step programs
- Lifestyle changes
Gambling Addiction Helpline Number
This is the hotline number 1-888-480-5593 to speak with someone and get to know how many addicts you are. Depression is very much related to gambling. Gambling in moderation is a socially accepted behavior.
What is Food Addiction?
A food addict is someone who eats all the time. Even when they don’t feel hungry they binge on food.
If they see the food they eat. Nobody can control them and they themselves cannot control them. Food addiction is not common. It may lead to serious disorders related to digestion.
The best way to stay healthy is to eat food when you feel hungry. Most food adductors are addicted to junk food.
Symptoms of Food Addiction
- Symptoms of food addicts involve a craving for certain food even when your tummy is full, you find yourself eating much more than you intended, feel unable to control the consumption of unhealthy food.
The consequence of Food Addiction
- Processed junk food have strong effects in the centers of the brain
- It can cause physical problems
- Diabetes type 2
- Heart disease
Treatment For Food Addiction
- To avoid this disorder make a list of food that you crave for. This type of food is called as a trigger food.
- Make a list of fast food places you visit and make a list of pros and cons. Doing this will give you a clear picture of the food that you are addicted to.
- When all this fails you can seek help either from your near or dear ones. You can tell your problem to them.
- Else you can go for professional help like a psychologist. A lot of support groups and health professionals are available to help the person to come out of this problem.
- There are various free choices available, including 12 step programs like GreySheeters Anonymous (GSA), Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA), Food Addicts Anonymous (FAA), and Overeaters Anonymous(OA).
There are Questions you must ask yourself to find if you are a food addict
1. Are you not able to control the intake of junk foods or high sugar foods?
2. Have you tried different weight loss programs and diet and nothing worked out?
3. Feeling depressed about your weight or overeating of food?
4. Do you eat in private so that nobody can see you?
5. Do you pray to God to help you with your weight?
Video Games Addiction
What is Video Game Addiction?
Compulsive video gaming is a modern-day psychological disorder. People who are most affected in this are students who are going to school and sometimes kids too.
They play games and become addicted to it. It is noted that most of the video games played by children are of a violent nature and this creates a deep imprint in the minds of the latter.
There are different types of online multiplayer games. There is no end for these games because all games are mostly swallowing the players in.
The main cause why people are addicted to video games is because they are designed in such a way that they offer a lot of virtual rewards and the player will encounter nowhere to end.
Symptoms and Effects of Video Game Addiction
There are the physical, emotional and psychological symptoms of playing a game. They have both short term and long term effects.
In the short term, they avoid sleeping or eating meals properly in order to play video games. It will result in this kind of affected people to encounter problems like sleep disorder and various other types of health-related diseases.
- Feeling of restlessness
- Lying to family members about the time spent on playing
- Isolation from others in order to play the game
- Migraines or eye strain
- Poor personal hygiene
Warning Signs of Video Game Addiction
- Increasing the game time to achieve satisfaction
- Gaming longer than originally intended
- Use the game in order to escape from real-world problems and stress
- Isolating from family and friends
- Not completing homework or assignments in time
Treatment for Video Game Addiction
- Posting strict and regular boundaries for day to day life
- Consult a psychologist/psychiatrist
Reasons for video game addiction include
- There are no pre-defined ends in most addicting video games.
- There is a need to make social connections due to addicted video games
- When rewards are based on the leveling system, addiction becomes more predominant
- They collaborate with gamers worldwide. So they meet new gamers and play online using the internet
- Companies regularly release upgrades or expansion packs
What is Alcohol Addiction?
Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. There are many people who drink occasionally or for social situations.
The big evil power that alcohol possesses is that it will bring a large number of persons if not all, into its fold and move them to the addiction stage once they start consuming it.
Symptoms of Alcohol Addiction
Physical symptoms of alcohol include the following:
- Slurred speech
- Vomiting or nausea
- Delayed reflexes
- Loss of control over the amount they consume.
- Increased reactions of anger
- No proper speech
Top 10 warning signs of alcohol addiction
- Hiding your drinking
- Drinking to relieve stress
- Blacking out
- Drinking in dangerous situations
- Having trouble in relationships
- Experiencing withdrawal
- Drinking more than used to
- Neglecting the responsibilities
- Trying to quit but unable to end
- Unexplained personality change
Bullying can lead to Drug/Alcohol Addiction. One of the major impacts of Bullying could do severe damages to a victims life. Bullying could lead to drug dependence & suicide risk.
What is Tobacco Addiction?
Tobacco intake is harder to hide compared to other addictions. People are addicted to tobacco products like cigarettes. It is very difficult to come out of it.
In many parts of the world, it is legal. A person who is addicts will smoke 3 to 4 packets a day. That may have more than 10 cigarettes.
Symptoms of Tobacco Addiction
- Can’t stop smoking
- Shaky hands and other symptoms when they are trying to quit
- Must smoke after every meal or work or movie
- Need tobacco products to feel normal in case if experiencing stressful situations
- Continuous to smoke despite health problems.
Nicotine can help people who need the oral fixation of smoking.
What is Heroin Addiction?
Heroin is a drug that is considered to be illegal and also makes people who indulge in abuse of this drug to become addictive.
Effects of Heroin Addiction
- Shortness of breath
- Dry mouth
- Small pupils
- Droopy appearance
- Cold sweats
Signs of heroin abuse and addiction are listed below:
- Lying or other deceptive behavior amongst those persons who involve in such drug abuse
- Lack of interest in hobbies
- Weight loss and runny nose.
Side effects of heroin include mental functioning and uncontrollable feelings.
What is Cocaine Addiction?
It is a drug that functions to increase the neurotransmitter in the brain which is dopamine. Cocaine addiction has an increased risk of many diseases, death, and psychological disorders.
People who use this drug for the first time will forthwith get into addiction mode.
Effects of Cocaine Addiction
- Uplifted pleasure and feelings are normally seen amongst persons addicted to this abuse
- Decreased appetite
- High sexual arousal
- Decreased sleeping behavior
- Why is it dangerous?
Addiction can result in divorce, financial hardship, changes in mood. They can cause sexual dysfunction, significant weight loss, heart attack, and stroke.
What is Sex Addiction?
It is an intimacy disorder that results in arousal of sex-related thoughts leading to such behavioral outlook amongst such people who come under this category.
Types of sex addiction
- Multiple affairs
- Obsessive dating
- Use of pornography
Dangerous sexual behaviors include hiding sexual activities, having sex at an inappropriate time, unknowingly flirting, masturbation number of times in a day
Internet And Mobile Phone Addiction
What is Internet and Mobile Phone Addiction?
There are a number of internet addicts in the world. Most teenagers are addicted to the internet. Mostly teenagers watch bloggers on the net.
They subscribe to their channels and watch the videos of them or else one may be addicted to gaming online. Most of the youth are addicted to the mobile phone.
They have internet access on the phone which helps them to chat with friends using mobile phones watch the video and play games as well
What is Pornography Addiction?
There are various websites of pornography. If a person feels the urge of sex, on the instant thought they watch porn on websites.
Symptoms of Pornography Addiction
- The escalating amount of time spent on porn use
- Viewing sexual content
- Anger or irritability
Teenagers and students are mostly addicted to pornography.