Acne can be defined as a skin condition that causes skin inflammation in various parts of the body such as a face, neck, upper arms, chest, and shoulders.
The sebaceous glands or the oil glands swell up and get filled with pus due to bacterial infection. Here we have discussed the causes and treatment of Acne and also How to Get Rid of pimples and Acne Scars.
In The Article
What is Acne ?
Acne is not a disease. It is common among-st boys and girls and can be treated in a number of ways. You can opt for visiting a dermatologist or else try out with certain home remedies for acne.
A time cannot be fixed to ensure complete acne cure. Early treatment of acne will avoid the effect of scarring. Not all acne leave scars on your face. Different types of treatment exist for various acnes.
What is cystic acne?
A cystic acne is a form of acne which is painful and long-standing on the neck, back and chest. However, the cystic acne family history is not universal. Cystic acne is most severe and uncommon, which affects facial appearance.
Age group Affected by Acne
It has been found that acne occurs in every seven out of ten people in the 12 to 25 age category. In a girl child, it usually occurs when she attains puberty. Boys are also more commonly affected by acne.
If you have one or two acne it can be difficult to spot out. If you find some big accumulation of acne happening, you must mandatorily check out with utmost concentration.
Acne appears not only on the face but also on the neck and chest as well. It may spread when you touch by your hand and then you keep your hand on other parts of the body. Not all acne spreads. Acne ranges from mild to severe. Usually, it is mild and it starts mild.
It is notable that people having hormonal deficiencies are bound to witness a higher rate of radiation of the acne and this normally happens to aggravate intensely.
A recent report says, in about 4 or 3 in 10 teenagers the effect of acne is severe and it has to be treated properly. Acne may appear during menstrual cycle once in a month and vanish.
But for rare cases, acne takes years to vanish. Such people have to go for treatment and medications. After doing so, such individuals will assertively say to others that these steps, reduces acne and helps in skin care.
Causes of Acne
Acne may occur when the pores of the skin are blocked with oil or bacteria. The prime causes for people getting affected by various types of acne, for instance like oil acne are:
- Use of various cosmetic products for makeup
- When starting or stopping birth control pills
- Genetic element- when acne is hereditary
- Hormonal changes
- When bacteria builds up in the pores
- When too much oil swelters on the skin
- When dead skin accumulates in the pore of the skin
- Rise of androgen levels
1. Clean your face often
It is significant for everybody to know that the habit of cleaning our face is good irrespective of whether we are affected by acne or not.
Splashing up the water on the face frequently is really important to prevent acne from invading your gentle skin. You must wash your face often with or without soap just to refresh your skin and get rid of pimples and the dead bacteria’s, it also helps to get rid of oils on the face.
Use normal water to splash your skin. You can also use a mild cleanser or a face wash to your skin. Using a harsh soap can do more damage to your skin. Avoid touching your skin always.
Using a hard soap can do more damage to your skin. Avoid squeezing your skin or a pimple hardly. Don’t keep your fingers frequently on the pimple. Use a loofah to exfoliate the dead cells and helps in skin care.
After washing your face stand under the fan and experience the cooling effect on your face. Dry your face with a clean towel. Make sure the towel you use is clean.
2. Moisturize your face
The best way to prevent acne is to moisturize your skin. It strikes a significant role in treating and preventing acne. Look for”noncomedogenic” on the label, which means it should not cause acne.
There are different types of moisturizers available. Not everything will suit everybody. In order to know the best moisturizer for your skin, first, you must know the nature of your skin.
There are different types of skins that individuals have, namely: oily skin, dry, and combination skin. Pick up the one that matches your skin and it will do wonders for your skin.
There are different types of moisturizers available. Not everything will suit everybody. In order to know the best moisturizer for your skin, first, you must know your skin type.
There are different types of skin type namely oily, dry, and combination skin. All you need to do is to select the right one in accordance with your skin naturally and you will witness a positive outcome.
3. Reduce using makeup
It is a fact that using abnormal makeup can cause acne. So avoid sub-standard foundation and concealers. If you wear makeup every day, make sure you follow a skincare routine.
Skincare routine includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. These steps are to be followed to take good care of your skin. Several makeup products may have incompatible chemicals.
So it is always good to have knowledge about the chemical names so that you can have a look at the label of the makeup and get to know what chemicals are used in the making of the product.
4. Try an over-the-counter acne product
They are many products that can be used for the skin especially when you have acne. Some of them are
- Benzoyl peroxide
- Salicylic acid
- Lactic acid
- Glycolic acid
These products curb bacteria and dry the skin. They may cause peeling of your skin and hence to be used in small quantity. If you want to know more about these, then the best way is to consult a skin specialist or a cosmetologist.
They may recommend chemical peel or microdermabrasion.
5. Keep your hands off your face
Keep your hand away from your face. Many people have the habit of pressing the pimple. Due to touching or pressing the pimple, it starts to multiply and grow big in size.
So it is better not to play with your fingers on your face. Avoid touching your chin and cheek too.
6. Protect from the sun
Protect your skin from the sun. Using a sunscreen is a must for all types of skin. There are different types of sunscreens available on the market. Use the right SPF for your skin.
If you don’t know which is the right SPF, consult a cosmetologist and find it out. Sunscreen has to be applied half an hour before going out. You can even use sunscreen before going swimming.
The ultraviolet rays from the sun may cause redness and tan your skin. It may cause skin discolouration. Wear gloves and cover your face while going out in the sun. Wear a comfortable dress and make sure your skin is not exposed to the sun.
7. Diet and exercise
Your diet is more important because what you eat will show on your skin. To avoid junk food. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Dairy products and food high in processed sugar may trigger acne.
Exercise daily to keep your skin healthy. There are various types of physical exercises like yoga and gymnastics and so on, which helps in skin care. Dance is also a good exercise.
You can do yoga every day early in the morning. Have a morning routine; it will make your skin healthy. Take shower right after you exercise.
Medications Used For Acne Treatment
Dermatologists generally use the following common medicines to treat acne:
- Isotretinoin, an oral retinoid.
- Salicylic acid, such as Propa pH or Stridex.
- Benzoyl peroxide, such as Brevoxyl or Triaz.
- Androgen blockers, such as spironolactone. Androgen blockers can be useful in treating acne. These medicines decrease the amount of sebum (oil) made in your pores.
- Azelaic acid, such as Azelex, a topical cream.
- Topical retinoid medicines, such as tretinoin (Retin-A), adapalene (Differin), and tazarotene (Tazorac).
How To Get Rid Of Pimples And Acne Scars
1. Apply fresh lemon juice
Lemon has citric acid and it is the best-known bleaching agent. Take some lemon juice, add water and apply it on your pimple. If your skin is sensitive, then you may get burning sensation and irritation on your skin.
Wash off the lemon juice after 10 to 15 minutes. You can even apply lemon juice when you before going to sleep and keep it overnight. You can wash your face the next morning.
Do not forget to moisturize your skin after washing off. Citric acid has a chemical called bergapten and it allows UV radiation to affect the skin so easily.
So, make sure you wash your skin well and apply sunscreen before going out in the sun. By applying this treatment, you will definitely see that this reduces acne.
2. Use honey
Honey is widely recognized to be the most extraordinary curative for various kinds of diseases, inclusive of acne. It is vital to note that acne treatment must be done with the purest possible honey.
Honey has that innate strength of eliminating all kinds of bacteria and it can be applied for all people having different nature of skin. It will not burn or irritate. It is the safest ingredient that is used on the skin.
Honey can be taken in orally as a medicine. It is very sweet and hence to be taken only the required quantity. Pearl powder is supposed to reduce inflammation. You can mix honey with pearl powder and apply onto your skin.
It is the great and natural solution to get rid of pimples.
3. Experiment with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is yet another natural solution that is good for both skin and hair. It works like a magic on the skin. Take the aloe Vera leaf and cut it. You will find a gel-like substance inside.
Apply it on your pimple. It doesn’t burn your skin and will not cause any irritation to it. Aloe Vera helps to regenerate and moisturize the skin and it is effective to get rid of pimples and the scars produced by acne.
There is another method to use Aloe Vera, especially for acne scars. You can mix a drop of tea tree oil with Aloe Vera before applying it to the skin.
5. Use an ice cube
Ice Cube is another best home remedy to get rid of the redness of the acne. But do not apply an ice cube directly on to your face. Just wrap the ice cube in a cloth and hold it against the scarred skin for about a minute.
Till the area starts to feel number. you can freeze some green tea in an ice cube tray and use it.
6. Make sandalwood paste
Take some sandalwood and make it a paste and apply it on the affected area for about 30 to 60 minutes. Rinse off with water. You can also mix sandalwood paste with honey for better results.
This also helps in decreasing the number of acne scars but it must be understood that it cannot be routinely done. Apply the paste only once or twice in a year for better results.
7. Coconut oil
Pure coconut oil is normally believed by a large number of people to possess the healing qualities. You can massage your skin with coconut oil.
There is no need to wash away the coconut oil as the vitamins will continue to work and improve skin health as long as you use it. If you want to wash it, make sure you have applied it for about 30 to 60 minutes.
8. Cotton Ball Baking Soda
Baking soda helps to exfoliate dead skin cells in the face and reduce bacteria which cause acne and inflammation. Mix baking soda with lemon juice and apply on the skin with cotton, which is cotton ball baking soda. Wash it after 10 minutes with water, which will help you to get rid of pimples.
Home Remedies For Acne
Apple Cider Vinegar Face Mask:
Things you need:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Green tea
- Honey, sugar
- Take apple cider vinegar in the bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons of green tea
- Add honey and required quantity of sugar
- Mix well
- For a thicker consistency, you can add more sugar
- Coat the mask on your face and leave it for about 30 minutes
- The apple cider vinegar will kill the bacteria which cause acne.
- It will start drying and you can feel the dryness of the mask
- After 20 minutes, rinse with water
- Make sure you wear this mask twice in a week for better results
How To Avoid Dry Skin?
- Apply moisturizer soon after you wash your face –Once you wash your face, pat it dry. Now take a required amount of moisturizer and apply gently on the skin. Give a massage to the skin by using the moisturizer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use ointment or cream rather than a lotion –Ointments and creams are more effective on the skin. You can consult a doctor to know which ointment suits your skin type well. Search for the ointment that contains olive oil or jojoba oil as the ingredient wherein this could convert your dry skin into an oily skin after a period of time.
- Wear lip balm on your lips –Lip balm is available easily in the market. There are different flavors of lip balm available. It helps to hydrate your skin on your lips and prevent from cracking. Some type of lip balm may irritate your lip. So make sure you choose the right lip balm.
- Wear gloves while going out in sun –Mostly, as our hands normally have the tendency of drying out speedily, it is best advisable that you can wear a long sleeve glove on both of your hands. Meanwhile, your leg can be protected from the sun’s radiation by wearing soft cotton socks.
- Choose good clothes and detergent –If we use the certain type of detergent it tends to dry our skin when we use the clothes. To avoid this wear a nice cotton dress during summer. Cotton clad clothes can be emphatically stated as the ideal outfit for people to wear during summer times for experiencing that cool effect. Make sure your hands are covered while going out. Wear socks for your feet.
Acne Treatment Products
- Cortisone cream can be used. It promotes healing and helps to reduce the inflammation. Consult a dermatologist to know which type of cortisone cream works for you. Apply the cream on the affected area and leave it overnight.
- Use skin lightening creams. Lightening creams have ingredients such as kojic acid, arbutin, mulberry extract and vitamin c. These ingredients help to lighten the skin. Check the label if you have hydroquinone. The Little amount of hydroquinone is fine. But the larger quantity of it may cause side effects and cause skin irritation and skin burns. If you have darker skin, avoid skin lightening creams. The side effect may be notable skin peel.
- Use glycolic or salicylic acid for the skin. They are great exfoliating agents that help to shed layers of the skin making it even brighter. Glycolic chemical peel is also available. Peeling is performed by the doctor. You can go for chemical peeling as well. It regenerates the skin.
Laser Treatment for Acne
If you have acne and acne scars for over many years and there is no symptom of fade seen, then laser treatment can be the most effective panacea. The laser is used to stimulate collagen production.
There are different types of laser treatments available for acne based on the wavelength of light and color that they emit like Pulsed-dye lasers (PDL), potassium titanyl phosphate lasers (KTP), and infrared lasers.
Laser treatment controls acne by focusing light that penetrates the skin at the particular point. Bacteria in acne normally produces a compound called porphyrins. The converged laser light stimulates the compound and the bacteria is killed directly. Laser therapy also has a great benefit of alleviating the level of oil that is notable in an oily skin (sebum).
Laser treatment reduces acne by focusing the light that penetrates the skin at the particular point. Bacteria in acne normally produces a compound called porphyrins. The converged laser light stimulates the compound and the bacteria is killed directly. Laser therapy also has a great benefit of reducing skin oil levels (sebum) that help to minimize the occurrence level of oil acne. Laser therapy has very lesser side effects on lighter skin tones and it works excellently
Laser therapy requires three levels of treatment procedures usually with the in-between time span of one month and costs $200-$500 per procedure. However, the major disadvantage of laser therapy that one has to keep in mind is that the results generated by it could be ambivalent and temporary.
It can be hereby stated that prior to deciding to go for laser therapy, it is very important to consult a qualified cosmetologist and fix the appropriate person who can treat you.