1Can dogs eat pistachios?
No. Pistachios have high-fat content and it can lead to stomach upset in your dogs. More than that, pancreatitis can set in if your dog eats pistachios on a frequent basis.
Some might recommend pistachios without a shell, but still, it is not a good idea to feed your dog with these type of nuts.
What is pistachio toxicity or pistachio poisoning?
Keep in mind that properly processed or prepared pistachios nuts are not toxic as such but the dog’s digestive system does not support the proteins found in nuts.
Large or excessive intake can cause pancreatitis, obesity, and gastrointestinal distress. Pistachios may also support Aspergillus mold. Aflatoxin found in molds can be toxic to dogs.
Symptoms of Pistachio Toxicity in dogs are
- Greasy appearing stools
Symptoms of Aflatoxin poisoning in dogs are
- Appetite loss
- Liver failure
Symptoms of pancreatitis in dogs are
- Weight loss
- Abdomen swelling
- Severe abdominal pain
- Colored urine
- Lethargy or lack of energy to perform regular activities
- Lack of appetite
- Heart arrhythmias
- Difficulty in breathing
- Dehydration or water loss
Points to keep in mind
Aflatoxin exposure is not only restricted to pistachios. Aspergillus mold is present in several plant species such as wheat, hay, and corn. In several instances, animals are found to pass on this mold via their byproducts like eggs or milk. There are no species of animals that are free from aflatoxin exposure. In spite of strict regulations in place, aflatoxin toxicity is a never-ending problem.
Various reasons for pistachios toxicity in dogs
Some of the secondary risks are
- Pancreatitis is a highly painful disorder which can occur due to high-fat content in the nuts.
- Since most of the pistachios sold in the market are with shells, when consumed with their shells, the dogs can suffer from choking. The sharp or jagged pieces of the pistachios can rupture the gastrointestinal tract and can also rupture the esophagus.
- Bladder stones are a possibility because of the rich phosphorous content in the nuts.
- Aflatoxin exposure is mainly due to mold aspergillus. These molds are usually found in almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, and pistachios.
- The salt levels in pistachios can increase the water retention capacity of the dogs and can cause kidney troubles. Dogs suffering from heart conditions must not be fed with pistachios at any cost.
Diagnosis of pistachio toxicity in dogs
The vet might usually start by checking
- History of the pet
- Foods consumed recently
- Blood count, complete profile, and physical examination
- Aflatoxin exposure via vomitus, stools, and urine test
- Depending on the severity of the case, the vet may call for the abdominal ultrasound and scan or x-ray of the dog’s throat or chest area
Treatment procedure for pistachio toxicity in dogs
The normal treatment steps are
Prescribing IV fluids in case of dehydration
- Vitamin K treatments and hepatoprotectants are followed to handle aflatoxin toxicity
- Sometimes feeding by mouth might be stopped and continued intravenously giving the dog more time to recover from pancreatitis.
- Pancreatic supplements can also be given to relieve the from abdominal pain or trouble.
- Quick and speedy recovery depends on the severity of the condition. Be patient and keep up with the vet appointment.
Therefore, it is better to feed your pets with dog-friendly food items.
2Can dogs eat pumpkin?
Yes, but the raw one is not an ideal choice. Cooked fresh and canned pumpkin is safe for dogs along with roasted seeds.
Health benefits of pumpkin for dogs
- Pumpkin contains a lot of vital nutrients, incredibly nutritious, and tremendously easy to prepare.
- Halloween pumpkins should not be served for dogs since they might contain bacteria and mold after it has been left unused for days together on your porch.
- Baked and pumped seeds are all a good snack for your dog to relish. They contain omega 3 fats which contain lots of anti-inflammatory effects.
- Pumpkin seeds are used as a remedy for roundworms and tapeworms. Cucurbitin, naturally found in the seeds acts as a nice de-worming agent.
- They are helpful in controlling benign prostatic hyperplasia and as per reports almost all male dog more than 9 years of age suffers from.
- Pumpkin oil extracted from the seeds can control urinary tract infections and are effective enough to manage kidney stones.
- Canned pumpkin can be used for weight loss program by including them in the dog’s diet. Not more than 10% of the total diet is the ideal recommended serving.
- The fibers in the pumpkin are a nice preventive way to control and prevent constipation in older dogs.
- The pumpkin flesh has the ability to manage diarrhea. Dogs are prone to colitis, a severe bowel
Essential nutrients found in Pumpkin are
- Vitamin A
- Zinc content will improve your dog’s coat and skin.
- Rich fiber content
- Vitamin C- 1 cup contains a minimum of 11mg; good for immune system and antioxidant.
- Potassium- An effective nutrient for a quick recovery and muscular contraction.
Things to avoid pumpkin diet for dogs
- Preservatives and additives
- Added flavorings and all types seasonings
- Pumpkin pie with sugar, fat, and other extra preservatives
- All these food items can lead to digestive tract issues.
- Pumpkin leaves and stems as it can cause mouth irritation and intestinal tract.
- Pumpkin shells might contain glue, shellac, or glitter, especially during the fall season when people hang decorative pumpkins in their workplace or home.
Overall, when served in moderation pumpkin can turn out to be the best treat your dog. In case of excessive intake of seeds or flesh, contact your vet for further instructions.
How to serve pumpkin to dogs
- Ground and crushed pumpkin seeds can be easily added to their meals. Do not feed them with more than one seed at a time. The sigs of excessive intake is usually identified by the stools, which is normally softer in nature due to excessive fat content.
- Unsalted plain pumpkin seeds are the best bet for your dogs.
- Roasted pumpkin seeds can be stored for more than a month and packaged pumpkin seeds last for more than six months.
- Pureed pumpkin not more than two tablespoons can definitely help to treat indigestion in dogs.
3What can dogs eat for breakfast?
Some of the foods that are best suited for dogs to eat for breakfast are
- Green beans and Peas – Green beans provide vitamin K and C while peas contain potassium in good quantities. Both are low-calorie, healthy nutrients.
- Apples – Apples provide a nice source of vitamin C and A Remove the core and the seeds and feed your dog with small quantities of apple slices.
- Pasta and rice – Whole wheat and plain pasta are a brilliant source of energy and avoid feeding acidic or fatty sauces.
- Sweet potatoes and Pumpkin – They both provide a rich source of vitamin A and beta-carotene and help to manage the digestive system of your dog’s.
- Salmon – A nice source for the dog’s skin and coat health, providing omega 3- fats.
- Lean Proteins – Feed them with foods that are free from wines, oils, and seasonings or vegetables. Lean proteins generally refers to beef, turkey, and chicken
- Yogurt – The Greek yogurt act as rich source of protein and avoid those that are high in preservatives and sugar
- Peanut Butter – Provides a rich source of fiber and added protein; the ones containing the toxic xylitol must be definitely avoided.
There are other foods which dogs should not be fed
Never feed them with
- Xylitol-based products such as peanut butter, toothpaste, baking goods, lollies, sugar-free made chewing gum,
- Fish on a daily basis
- Green unripe potatoes and tomatoes
- Fruit seeds
- Pits and fruit stones
- Macadamia nuts or other nuts
- Yeast dough
- Bread dough
- Compost or spoiled or moldy foods
- Caffeine or coffee products
- Onion powder
- Cooked bones which can lead to gastrointestinal issues due to their splinter nature.
The best way to choose the ideal dog food
- But food products that have ‘balanced’ and complete” mentioned in the packing.
- Consider all the health issues your dog might suffer from
- Ask the veterinarian for help
- Be careful with home-cooked food items
- Keep pet poison center number ready with you- 855- 764- 7661
- Pet Poison Control Center
A service of SafetyCall International, PLLC.
3600 American Boulevard W., Suite 725
Overall, never rush with your own ideas and it is always best to contact a vet whenever you are in doubt.
4Can dogs eat chocolate?
No, it depends on the type and the quantity of chocolate consumed, and also the dog weight must be taken into consideration to calculate the severity of health issues when a dog eats chocolate in large quantities. If your dog happens to consume only a small piece, then there is no need for any panic.
Is it toxic for a dog to eat chocolate?
Chocolate contains chemicals such as caffeine and theobromine, which can induce the dog’s nervous system and increase the heart rate speed.
The list of chocolate products that contain theobromine content is
- White chocolate
- Milk chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- Semisweet chocolate
- Unsweetened baker’s chocolate
- Cocoa powder
For dog owners residing in America, please call Pet poison helpline at 855-764-7661, a 24/7 helpline for animal poison. Fees subject to change- US$ 59 per case applies.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning
The symptoms usually appear anywhere between 6 – 12 hours after the dog has consumed the chocolate and it can last for more than 72 hours.
They may include
- Collapse and death
- Elevated or abnormal heart rate
- Excessive urination
Older dogs and dogs suffering from other abnormal health troubles are likely to meet fatal consequences due to chocolate consumption.
How to safeguard your dog from chocolate consumption?
- Train your dog to eat from their crates only. Provide him with his favorite treat, his comfortable blanket, a stuffed Kong, and other chewable and non-toxic toys.
- Teach him to follow “Leave it” command. Make sure your dog avoids eating foods strewn on the ground.
- Store the chocolates in a safe container far away from the reach of your pet dog. Also, inform your family members not to bring chocolates or any choco-related eatables near the pet at any cost.
Emergency treatment if your dog happens to suffer from chocolate consumption
- In any case, please call your vet as soon as possible or ring the pet poison center at 855-764-7661 for further instructions.
- The prescribed treatment might include feeding the dog with activated charcoal to induce vomiting and in certain cases, IV fluids might be administered to remove the side-effects of chocolate poisoning.
5Can dogs eat mushrooms?
It actually depends on the type of mushroom you actually feed your dog with. Mushrooms are generally a complicated food type. These edible fungi can be traced to our gardens, yards, and parks.
Do dogs eat wild mushrooms?
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to answer this question. Some dog lovers blatantly believe that dogs can use their scent to avoid eating wild mushrooms. However, this is absolutely false. If your dog happens to gobble a wild mushroom, immediately rush him to the nearest vet.
There are reports which explicitly states that wild mushroom incidents are severely under-reported, causing fatal poisoning in dogs.
What kind of mushrooms is toxic?
Some of the wild mushrooms that must be avoided include
- Clitocybe dealbata and Inocybe spp mushrooms
- False morel or gyromitra spp.
- Deadly Agaric or Amanita muscaria
- Jeweled deathcap or Amanita gemmata
- Galerina autumnalis or galerina marginata,
- Death trap or Amanita phalloides
Signs of wild mushroom poisoning in pets including dogs
The signs of mushroom poisoning largely depend on the mushroom species because different mushrooms contain certain toxins which ultimately affects the dog differently.
|Mushroom Type||Toxins and Side Effects|
|Amanita mushrooms||Amanitin toxins; acute kidney injury, liver failure, GI troubles|
|Clitocybe dealbata and Inocybe spp||Neurological signs, diarrhea, increased urination, eye-watering, and salivation|
|Amanita mushrooms- others||Diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, walking drunk, tremors, and sedation|
Common mushroom poisoning signs include
- Liver failure
- Ataxia (staggering gait)
- Abdominal pain
Treatment for mushroom poisoning
Vet treatment completely depends on the mushroom type, the signs, and when was it ingested etc.
If possible, wrap the mushroom in a wet paper towel and show it to your vet so that your vet can save precious time by administering the right kind of drugs immediately to save your dog.
Can dogs be fed with a market made mushrooms like portabello mushrooms?
According to experts, mushrooms sold in grocery and large stores are normally safe for them to eat.
Unless mushrooms are served plain without any sort of vegetables like onion and garlic, seasoning, butter, and oils, it is better to avoid them.
Instead, choose to feed your pet with an apple slice or carrot stick.
6Can dogs eat grapes or raisins?
No, grapes and raisins are highly toxic in nature for a dog and they can cause serious kidney problems.
In case if your dog exhibits any of these signs, take him to a vet as soon as possible
- Kidney failure
- Complete cessation or decreased flow of urine
- Check for dehydration signs. The skin behind the dog’s neck should look hale and healthy. Pale gums, dry mouth and nose, and panting.
- Abdominal area feels tender when touched and painful
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Unusual stillness, weakness, and lethargy
- Loss of appetite
Never hesitate to take your dog for treatment immediately.
7Can dogs eat coconut?
Yes. while many may be aware of the fact that dogs can consume coconut oil through their diet, coconuts are also an excellent option for your dog. Even though coconuts do not contain anything toxic, it does contain triglycerides, which has the ability to cause a bloating and gastrointestinal upset.
Advantages of Coconut
- Coconut meat contains high levels of lauric acid which are good at preventing influenza. It can also help to treat Giardia, ringworm, and yeast infections. With its anti-inflammatory properties, coconut has the capacity to heal wounds and cuts etc.
- Dogs suffering from arthritis can feel a lot better when fed with coconut because inflammation is one of the primary cause of concern for this trouble.
- Remove the shell otherwise the pieces can damage your dog’s esophagus and thereby result in blockage and intestinal irritation.
- Coconut contains large quantities of antioxidants which helps to keep the immune system safe and strong. They also provide a wall of defense against fungi, parasites, viruses, and all sorts of bad bacteria.
- Highly beneficial for the skin and the coat as the anti-inflammatory properties acts as a barrier by preventing flea allergies, hot spots, and yeast infections. Typically, coconut oil behaves like a natural moisturizer and promotes the quick healing of wounds and soothes inflammation.
8Can dogs eat broccoli?
As long as broccoli is consumed in small quantities, and also served as a reward or treat, they are safe. Dogs can be served with both raw and cooked broccoli as long as extra oils and seasonings are not added.
Side-effects of Broccoli
- Toxic content – Broccoli contains fat in low quantities and high levels of vitamin C and fiber. Broccoli florets contain a harmful chemical called as isothiocyanates, which has the capacity to cause mild or severe gastric issues in certain dog breeds. The total consumption of broccoli in dogs should not exceed 10% of their regular normal food intake and anything more than 25% can be toxic. The intake levels may vary from one dog breed to another, and an expert opinion is best recommended.
- Obstruction – Broccoli stalks can lead to esophagus obstruction in small breed varieties. So, it is best to cut the big chunks into small consumable pieces and feeding it one by one will enable the dog owner to assess the levels of broccoli allergies if present.
9Can dogs eat cashews?
Generally, cashews are considered safe for dogs. But it is important to remember certain guidelines.
Side effects of feeding dogs with cashews
- Even though cashews are non-toxic in nature, it can still cause certain side-effects such as-
- Since they contain high levels of protein and fat, the chance of your dog getting affected by pancreatitis is quite high; in certain cases, a veterinarian visit might be compulsory.
- Excess salts in cashews can cause symptoms such as seizures, muscle tremors, diarrhea, weakness, and vomiting. Salt toxicity should never be ignored.
- Frequent intakes of cashews can lead to obesity-related ailments such as joint troubles, diabetes, and at times can affect your dog’s lifespan too.
- Macadamia nuts which are sold along with cashew products are toxic and it can cause choking hazards and obstructions in all types of dogs, both small and big.
In conclusion, it is safe to feed cashews to your dog in small quantities and any type of seasoned and salted cashews must be avoided at any cost. Roasted cashews are the recommended choice and in case of any queries, contact your vet at the earliest.
10Can dogs eat cantaloupe?
Cantaloupes are perfectly safe for all dogs. According to experts, cantaloupe is safe when fed in moderation and also be used as a healthy alternative for pets which needs to lose some weight. They are not only non-toxic and cantaloupe seeds are not dangerous for dogs. Avoid feeding them intentionally as choking troubles are bound to surface.
Side effects of cantaloupes
Some things that need to be avoided are
- Cantaloupe rinds can cause stomach or gastrointestinal upset and can damage your dog’s digestive tract.
- Cantaloupes are high in sugar; diabetic and obese dogs should not be fed with cantaloupes.
- Excessive feeding of cantaloupes can lead to severe obesity in dogs which in turn can lead to other serious complications.
Overall, cantaloupes contain rich minerals and vitamins such as potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, niacin, vitamin B6. Vitamin C and A are good sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants help to control free radicals, which promotes healthy cell growth and reduces cell aging process. Fiber and water content present in the cantaloupes also helps to prevent dehydration and constipation.
11Can dogs eat cherries?
Certain precautions that need to be taken in case you have decided to feed some cherries to your dog are
- The leaves, stems, and pits of cherries contain a toxic chemical known as cyanide, which can serious life-threatening health issues if taken lightly.
- Intestinal blockages can be common if cherry pits get lodged in your dog’s digestive tract.
- The fruit can also lead to gastrointestinal upset.
- Maraschino cherries usually contain high sugar content and are not suitable even if their pits are removed before feeding.
Steps to follow in case your dog consumes a whole cherry
If your dog has swallowed a single pit, look out for symptoms such as decreased fecal production, constipation, decreased appetite, vomiting, and intestinal blockage. These symptoms usually take around 24 hours to appear.
Multiple cherry pits are consumed by your dogs, cyanide poisoning symptoms might set in which may include dilated pupils, bright red gums, and labored breathing.
Please contact your vet if your dog needs immediate medical attention.
12Can dogs eat cauliflower?
- Yes, but in moderation. Consuming cauliflower can cause gas troubles for your dog. They can either be fed with cooked or raw cauliflower and are considered to be an ideal healthy snack.
- Cauliflowers also contain isothiocyanate which has the capacity to block carcinogens.
- But remember, broccoli contains large quantities of fiber and calories than cauliflower. Brussels sprouts and cabbages too belong to the same family like broccoli and cauliflower. Both these vegetables are safe for dogs to consume. Different types of peas, edamame, green beans, cucumbers, and asparagus are also considered safe for dogs to feed on.
13Can dogs eat cheese?
Yes, and there are certain precautions that need to be kept in mind. Cheese contains B-complex vitamins, essential fatty acids, vitamin A, calcium, and protein and too much can cause serious health problems for your dog.
Types of cheese one should avoid feeding dogs
- Herbal cheese
- Rich cheeses
- Fatty cheeses
Cheese contains lesser quantities of lactose compared to full milk products and those dogs that suffer from lactose intolerance might get affected due to negative reactions. Call the vet if in case the dog is behaving abnormally.
How much Cheese one should feed the dogs
Feeding dogs with small-to-moderate amounts of cheese can be a nice way to treat your dogs and motivate them to behave better. It is recommended to consult a vet before feeding your dog with any type of food items that are normally consumed by humans.
14Can dogs eat strawberries?
Yes. However one should never feed the dog with strawberries dipped in syrup or canned strawberries. Strawberries not only help in controlling the aging process but also improves the immune system. They also help in managing weights. Removing salty, high-fat snacks can drastically improve the puppy’s teeth.
Best way to feed dogs with strawberries
To avoid choking, cut the fruit into small pieces which aid in easy digestion.
Small dogs can be fed with strawberry puree or strawberry mashes.
Other fruits preferred by dogs include
- Apples ( No cores or seeds)
- Watermelon ( No seeds)
- Frozen bananas
15Can dogs eat tomatoes?
Tomatoes contain a component called as solanine which is harmful to animals including dogs. Solanine is usually found in the leaves and stems of the plant and other related plants. Moreover, green tomatoes have a rich concentration of solanine in their stems and leaves.
So, it is safe to feed a dog with ripe tomatoes and the owner has to guard the dog against munching on leaves or stems of the tomato plant if they have one in their house.
Signs to identify tomatine poison
- Weakness in the muscles
- Coordination loss
- Cardiac or heart-related effects
- Gastrointestinal (GI) upset
Overall, Can dogs eat tomatoes? The answer is no as well as yes. Tomato plants and unripe or green tomatoes must be avoided whereas ripe tomatoes can be given in small quantities occasionally.
16What fruits dog can eat?
Some of the fruit varieties a dog can consume in moderation are
- Watermelon – Feed them without the seed and rind. It contains potassium, vitamins- c, B-6, A as well. With 92 percent water content, it is the best way to keep your dog hydrated.
- Tomatoes – No, it is better to skip the tomatoes. Ripe tomatoes are considered good for the dogs while unripe ones contain more quantity of solanine, which can make a dog sick. To be on a safe side, completely avoid feeding your dog with tomato fruit.
- Strawberries – Yes, only in moderation. They have the ability to whiten your dog’s teeth because of a special enzyme and they have high sugar content too.
- Raspberries – Dogs love to eat raspberries. Raspberries contain vitamin C, manganese, and are high in fiber. They contain low levels of calories and sugar. For senior dogs, the anti-inflammatory properties found in raspberries can help to control pressure and pain in joints. Xylitol, a toxic chemical present in raspberries acts as a deterrent preventing huge consumption of this fruit.
- Pineapple – Yes, this fruit contains bromelain which enables the dogs to absorb proteins in a better manner. The prickly skin has to be removed first before feeding the dogs with small pieces of pineapple. It contains fiber, minerals, and vitamins in large quantities.
- Peaches – Yes, but the pit has to be completely removed before feeding the dog. Pits contain a toxic known as cyanide, which is toxic in nature. Cut-up peaches act as a great source of vitamin A and fiber and can help in fighting infections. Canned peaches contain abnormal amounts of sugar content, so avoid them.
- Pears – Yes and feed them after completely removing the seeds and pit first. Pears contain rich amounts of fiber, vitamin K and C, and copper. Pears also help to cut the risk of suffering from a stroke by 50%. Cut them into small size chunks for convenience.
- Oranges – Yes. Oranges contain fiber, potassium, and vitamin C and dogs love to eat them. Vets recommend only the inside portion of the oranges and not the outer skin which might rough their digestive system.
- Mango – Yes, they contain vitamins such as E, C, B6, and A. Other than that they are a good source of alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and potassium. Don’t forget to remove the pit before feeding your dog with mangoes.
- Grapes – No, raisins and grapes contain chemicals that are highly toxic for dogs irrespective of their age, sex and breed. It can also cause severe kidney failure disorders.
Other than this a dog can eat cranberries, blueberries, bananas, and apples (no seeds and core).
17Can dogs eat cucumbers?
- Yes, cucumbers are super safe for your dog to eat, and they act as crunchy, low-calorie They are low in fat and sodium. A Milk-Bone biscuit contains 40 calories whereas 1.5 cups of cucumber slices contain only 8 calories.
- Choking and overeating issues must be avoided because too much cucumber can create unnecessary gastrointestinal problems. To prevent choking, always cut the big chunks into small pieces. It is also important to ensure that no more than 10% of the total diet consists of cucumber.
- Overall, they are healthy, an excellent treat for dogs. For dogs requiring weight management, cucumbers are the right choice to start with. With water content more than 95 percent, cucumber makes for an ideal summer treat. Weight-loss plan and exercise combined with other safe fruits and cucumber pave the way for a healthy life for your dog.
- Avoid pickles and always stay with plain cucumbers.
18Can dogs eat fish?
Yes. The benefits of feeding fish to your dogs include
Fishes are good sources of protein and can also be included in the market made commercial dog food as a rich alternative protein source.
They contain Omega-3 fats which help to fight inflammation.
Before feeding your dog with any fish variety, consult a vet or a board specified veterinary nutritionist to provide a nice wholesome meal for your dog.
Best fish types that can be given to dogs
The shorter-lived fish species are the preferred choice than longer-lived species such as swordfish and tuna which contains toxic chemicals like mercury. Mercury toxicity can cause problems in the long run if they are continuously fed with tuna etc.
The shorter-lived fish species include Arctic char, flounder, walleye, herring, lake whitefish, ocean whitefish, and salmon. So, choose wisely.
Harmful side-effects of feeding fish
GI upset is one of the main side effects which occurs due to excessive oil usage in cooking and can also lead to pancreatitis. Seasoning should be avoided if they happen to contain garlic etc.
Can dogs eat fish bones?
Fish bones are dangerous, brittle, and small. They can get stuck in your dog’s mouth, intestines, stomach, throat and at times even puncturing the organ wall. The treatment to remove the bone pieces can not only be painful for your dog, it can burn a big hole in your wallet too.
Can dogs eat stored or preserved raw fish?
Better to avoid feeding your dog with raw fish because
- The presence of listeria and salmonella can make your dog sick.
- According to U.S Food and Drug Administration, they can also make your family members sick too. If small children come into contact with the dog’s saliva, they are more likely to get affected. In case, if you are particular in feeding your dog with raw fish, follow the instructions provided by the F.D.A like washing the hands and thoroughly cleaning all bowls and surfaces after cooking or use.
What is the right quantity of fish to feed your dog?
Grilled, steamed, cooked, plain fish is o.k if provided in moderate quantities. Table scraps are not necessary since most commercial foods contain enough nutrients unless specifically mentioned by a veterinarian. Never feed the dog with more than 10% of the total diet.
Therefore, dogs can definitely eat fish but avoid feeding them with tuna or swordfish which contains toxic chemicals like mercury etc. No matter whichever fish species is cooked, it is recommended to avoid seasoning and oil content at any cost.
19Can dogs eat mango?
Mango contains huge amounts of vitamin E, C, B6, A, and fiber as well making it a complete treat for dogs as well as for humans. Mango also tastes richly sweet making it instantly likable for your dog to consume.
How to feed your dog with mangoes?
- Peel the skin and remove the center pit. The mango pit contains cyanide, which can be potentially harmful to your dog. Mango pits can also get caught in the digestive tract and can become a choking hazard.
- Ripe mangoes need not be sliced into small pieces unless you are feeding a small dog.
- Dogs love mangoes and too much can lead to diarrhea and bellyaches in dogs because dogs are not designed to handle large fiber contents.
- Be ready to call the vet if the dog had consumed the pit by mistake.
20Can dogs eat onions?
No, onions are capable enough to cause more damage than just pungent bad breath.
Why are onions toxic to dogs?
The presence of a chemical known as N-propyl disulfide in onion can lead to anemia. The toxin attached itself to the oxygen fragment or molecules in the dog’s RBC or red blood cells. It gradually reduces the RBC’s capacity to carry oxygen and the process by which the RBCs are destroyed is known as hemolysis or hemolytic anemia.
Which parts are toxic in an onion to dogs?
All the parts including processed powders, juice, leaves, and the flesh. Members of allium family(chives, leeks, shallots, and garlic), powdered or fried, cooked or raw onions are also invariably toxic to dogs.
Onion powder can be traced from baby foods to soups. Moreover, only 100 grams of medium or large sized onion per 20 kgs can cause toxic effects.
Garlic powders and onion are even more dangerous than raw or fresh onions. Onions are also toxic to cats too.
Signs of onion poisoning in dogs
The anemia signs to look out for in case your dog has eaten any onion related foods are
- Urine in red color
- Pale gums
- Appetite loss
- General weakness
- Lethargic or slow
- Increased heart rate
Rush him/her to the nearest vet and they will decide upon the right kind of treatment to be provided for your dog.
How to prevent dogs from eating onions?
- Make sure the onion basket is out of reach away from your dog’s habitat.
- If onion toxicity has been confirmed, then your vet try to clean your dog’s stomach by inducing vomiting. In certain cases, a blood transfusion might also be carried out to increase the RBC count.
- Therefore, feed your dog with other vegetables such as green beans, cucumbers, or carrots which are considered safe.
21Can dogs eat almonds?
Dogs normally love to eat almonds. Even though almonds are not toxic, they can cause health issues like gastric intestinal distress, stomach upset, or even lead to water retention.
- Stomach upset – Since dogs do not chew their intakes like humans, it can cause life-threatening situations because the swallowed almonds can obstruct the windpipe, stomach or the food pipe, esophagus.
- Gastric intestinal distress – As almonds are rich in fat contents, they can lead to pancreatitis in certain dog types. The common signs of pancreatitis are lethargy, loss of appetite, diarrhea, and vomiting. It can cause simple indigestion or turn fatal.
- Water retention – Dogs love to eat flavored almonds but the salt content present in them can lead to water retention and can severely affect dogs with a heart
22Can dogs eat oranges?
According to veterinarians, oranges act as an excellent source of fibers, potassium, and vitamin C. Small pieces can be served to the dogs as treats.
Advantages of Oranges
- Oranges contain low sodium content and are high in vital nutrients which can act as healthy treats.
- Obese dogs must avoid oranges as they do not contain natural sugars, and at times it can lead to indigestion in some dogs.
- Start by feeding your dog with small slices and observe your dog’s reaction.
- Stop feeding when you notice abnormal behavior in your dogs.
- Limit your feeding as per requirement; large dogs- 1 full orange a day and small dogs- 1/3 rd of a full
- Some dogs will consume anything that is placed before them and hence it is recommended to remove the peel and feed your dogs only with oranges.
- Certain dog breeds do not like the tart taste of oranges. So, act cautiously.
23Can dogs eat peanuts?
The answer is to this question is quite complex. Dogs love peanut butter and this does not simply mean that all dogs can be fed with peanuts since peanut butter is its by-product. Peanuts contain healthy fats, niacin, vitamin E, vitamin B-6, and proteins.
Are peanuts safe for my dog?
Unsalted and dry roasted peanuts are the safest peanut varieties a dog can eat. On the other hand, salted market-bought peanuts contain more sodium and this can cause xylitol poisoning in the long run if left unattended.
Peanuts can also cause pancreatitis or stomach upset to dogs since they contain high-fat content if they are fed with peanuts in large quantities.
How many peanuts can I feed my dog?
Avoid feeding flavored and honey-roasted peanut varieties and it is better to remove the shell as it can pose serious health issues. Exercise moderation when feeding your dogs with peanuts.
24Can dogs eat pears?
- Moderation is the watchword. Limit the feeding to not more than 10% of total food intake. Moreover, pears contain fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and too much consumption can cause indigestion or a stomach upset.
- Avoid feeding your dog with the core and seed portion intact as it can result in poisoning or choking. Pear seeds contain cyanide in very mild quantities.
- Canned pears normally contain more sugar content and it is not good for your dog’s health.
- Ripe and fresh pears are the right safe choices. However, before starting any new diet it is best adviced to contact your vet for their opinion since their experience and knowledge can help to prevent any untoward incident in the future.
25Can dogs eat pineapple?
Yes, in moderation, pineapples can be a good healthy treat, similar to watermelon and strawberries.
Pinapples contain vital nutrients such as
Raw, ripe pineapples also contain
- Vitamin B6, C
Risk of feeding pineapples to your dog
- Pineapple contains large quantities of natural sugar and fiber. This can lead to digestion problems in your dog.
- After feeding, if you happen to notice any signs of diarrhea or stomach upset, then stop feeding him pineapples.
- Remove the prickly skin and the core since they have the ability to cause obstruction. Feed them only the flesh of the fruit.
Can my dog eat pineapple?
- Avoid feeding them with canned pineapple and raw pineapple sounds good. Canned fruit syrup also contains high sugar content and this can affect your dog’s digestive system.
- Frozen pineapple pieces can be the best summer treat.
- A few sliced pieces of pineapple is enough for your dog. Don’t overindulge.
26Can dogs eat potatoes?
There is no clear-cut answer. It actually depends on various other factors. Potatoes do contain many nutrients that your dog needs such as magnesium, iron, vitamin B6, and vitamin C. The key factor is whether they are prepared properly and the right quantity is fed or not.
How to feed your dog with potatoes?
- Stop feeding raw potatoes. Raw potatoes also contain traces of solanine like tomatoes which is toxic to any dog.
- Feed your dogs only with boiled or baked potatoes and not with any kind of salted, butter coated potatoes, and fried items like potato chips or French fries.
- A dog’s body can take only limited amounts of carbohydrates and excess intake might lead to obesity and lifestyle-related
- Diabetic dogs should not be fed with potatoes since they increase the blood sugar level.
- Sweet potatoes are a better choice over white potatoes since they contain iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and vitamin A among other nutrients.
Overall, as long as potatoes are baked or boiled, they can be fed to your dogs in moderation. Start with a small portion of potato, and see how their bodies react.
27Can dogs eat blueberries?
Yes, without any doubt dogs can eat blueberries. They are supremely rich in fibers, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. It is a well-known fact that dogs do not suffer from stomach related ailments eating blueberries; dogs can eat them as healthy treats. Dogs can also eat raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
28Can dogs eat beans?
Kidney beans contain useful antioxidants that help to ward off disease and maintain good healthy cholesterol levels. Since raw kidney beans contain a toxin that can be harmful to pets, it is better to serve cooked beans. Green beans are also safe for dog consumption.
Another thing to note is that canned beans contain preservative chemicals and sodium which can harm the dog’s digestive tract. So, it is advisable to purchase safe beans in large quantities, soak and use them as required.
29Can dogs eat avocados?
The avocado seed is normally big in size and can get stuck in your dog’s intestinal tract or stomach, and esophagus. Moreover, Avocado bark, seeds, fruit, and leaves contain a chemical known as the person and this can cause indigestion problems or stomach upset problems.
It is better to remove the seed or restrict the intake of avocados.
30Can dogs eat raspberries?
Yes, they can eat raspberries in moderation. Raspberries contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that have the capacity to alleviate joint pains.
Raspberries work best when provided in their natural state and not with any cream or chocolate.
Side effects of raspberries
- Raspberries contain high levels of natural sweetener known as xylitol, which can cause life-threatening diseases such as hypoglycemia and liver disease in dogs.
- Other health troubles include constipation, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- In case of feeding your puppy with raspberries, start by feeding them with small pieces. Observe their reaction and then feed them more or stop feeding.
- Restrict the total feeding to not more than 1 bowl. Wash them thoroughly to remove all the pesticides and chemical sprays before feeding them.
Benefits of Raspberries are
- They are high in vitamin C, manganese, and fiber. In general, raspberries contain or have-
- Vitamin B-complex, K, and C.
- Rich minerals such as magnesium, iron, folic acid, copper, manganese, and potassium.
- Powerful antioxidants present in raspberries fights free radicals and minimizes the possibility of suffering from arthritis, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
- Dietary fiber content helps your dog to stay in shape and improves their digestive capacity.
Remember, in spite of having all these benefits they also contain xylitol. So, feed your dogs with raspberries in moderation.
31Can dogs eat pasta?
- Yes, pasta is safe for dogs. Pasta and cooked white rice can be served with one another. Plain white rice and boiled chicken are one of the best combination when your dog refuses to eat or suffering from mild stomach troubles.
- However, avoid feeding your dog with a market made pasta sauce since they contain large quantities of salt, sugar, and contents that are acidic in nature. This can cause serious gastrointestinal
- Wheat products must be fed with caution because some dogs may find it hard to digest pasta. If your dog is free from grain or wheat allergies, then pasta will never harm them.
- Pasta should never include onions, chives, and garlic.
Benefits of pasta
- It acts as a rich source of complex carbohydrates and contains B-vitamins, iron, and several other nutrients. The level of sodium content is also low in pasta.
- Being a low rate glycemic Index food, it is ideal for diabetic dogs since they do not cause the glucose level in the blood to spike all of a sudden. Anyways, pasta should only be included in the diet as a treat and not more than that.
Risks of feeding your dog with pasta sauce
- Since all pasta sauces invariably include garlic or onions or both, it is best recommended to avoid feeding them to your dog. Garlic is known to severely cause damage to the red blood cells and ultimately can lead to hemolytic
- More than the sauce, garlic powder is much more potent and can cause even more severe damages. So, feed your dog with plain noodles to be on the safe side.
- Remember that there are no extra nutrients which can be found in pasta other than their regular food diet. Dogs can become lethargic if they are fed with too many carbohydrates.
Overall, dogs can eat pasta in moderation and garlic, onion, and other pasta sauces must be totally avoided for the well being of your pet dog.
32Can dogs eat apples?
Apple slices are safe for dogs since they are useful in cleaning the dog’s teeth and also helps to freshen their breath. Apples contain vitamin C and A and are also high in fiber content. Apple seeds contain a chemical called as amygdalin, a toxic component which is poisonous in nature.
It is important to remove the core and the seeds before feeding them in general.
33Can dogs eat nut?
- Yes, but certain nut varieties can be toxic such as pecans which can create an obstruction or gastric intestinal Similar to walnuts, moldy pecans contain tremorgenic mycotoxins; can cause neurological symptoms or seizures.
- Dogs owners should avoid feeding black walnuts and macadamia nuts to their pups since they can serious health issues. Nuts like cashews, almonds, and peanuts are okay. As per reports from ASPCA, nuts can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
34Can dogs eat cat food?
To know whether a dog can eat cat food or not, first, we need to understand the basic difference between the nutritional content of cat and dog food.
Dogs and Cats: Nutritional Analysis
- Dogs are omnivores by nature and require a more balanced diet other than just meat food whereas cats are carnivores whose meal mainly consists of meat items.
- Dog food has low levels of protein compared to cat foods which are meat based. Maybe the flavor and smell are much stronger in cat foods, attracting the dogs towards them.
- Cat foods can be used as occasional treats to reward your dog for their exceptional behavior.
Risk of feeding dogs with cat foods
- Dogs love to gobble on cat foods. A cat food may not provide your dog with all the necessary nutrients simply because they are designed for cats and not for dogs.
- Cat foods can also cause pancreatitis, obesity, and gastrointestinal upset in dogs. A dog’s kidneys and livers might get ruptured due to high levels of protein.
What will happen if my dog eats cat food?
Common signs are diarrhea, vomiting, and GI discomfort. The largest threat is pancreatitis. Symptoms of pancreatitis include-
- Body weakness
- Frequent fever
- Abdominal issues
- Loss of Appetite
- Hunched back
Finally to conclude, dog foods lack protein levels and arachidonic acid while cat foods lack in taurine and vitamin A deficiency.
A dog can survive eating cat foods while a cat cannot do the same consuming dog food alone. Hence, stick to dog foods for dogs and cat foods for a cat.
35Can dogs eat bananas?
Yes, they can eat bananas but in moderation. A banana contains copper, biotin, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, and potassium etc.
Since bananas have high sugar content, dogs can only have them on an occasional basis. Cholesterol and sodium levels are quite low in bananas
36Can dogs eat cherries?
No, cherries contain a toxic, cyanide, which can cause serious harm to any dog. Cyanide blocks oxygen supply to the animal’s internal blood cells. The signs of cyanide poisoning include red gums, difficulty in breathing, and dilated pupils.
37Can dogs eat cranberries?
- The answer is no and also yes, cranberries are non-toxic for dogs. When dogs eat them in moderation it will do them no harm.
- Both dried cranberries and cranberries if provided in small quantities are good for dogs. Raisins mixed with cranberries must be totally avoided as raisins are utterly toxic to dogs. Prepared cranberry juices and dishes must also be avoided. Cranberry dishes normally contain other ingredients, alcohol, and sugar.
Is cranberry sauce safe for dogs?
If consumed in moderation, cranberry sauce is not dangerous for dogs. However, they can lead to gastrointestinal upset and some sauces may include currants or raisins or grapes, which are highly toxic.
Some recipes may also use alcohol, which should also be avoided at any cost. After feeding them with plain cranberry sauce; watch out for any sort of allergic reaction or intestinal upset.
UTIs and cranberry sauce
There is no conclusive evidence to prove that cranberry sauce can prevent and control (UTIs)urinary tract infections. According to veterinarians, excessive intake of cranberry can cause bladder problems including calcium oxalate stones formation in dogs.
Overall, cranberries are safe when provided in moderation. There are also lots of vegetables and fruits that are absolutely safe.
38Can dogs eat bread?
- Wheat bread and plain white are normally safe for dogs, in case they do not have any allergies. They also do not cause indigestion or any kind of stomach upset.
- Bread can also be used as treats or rewards and usually combining them with a completely healthy diet can work wonders for your dog. More than diet, exercise also plays a crucial role. The type and amount of bread used must also be taken into account since yeast dough used in bread making can cause stomach troubles in certain dogs.
39Can dogs eat garlic or garlic bread?
- Garlic foods may be good for humans, but not for dogs because they contain thiosulfate which is highly toxic to dogs. Thiosulfate damages the oxygen-carrying capacity of the red blood cells, which can cause hemolytic anemia. Signs of anemia include dark colored urine, jaundice, weakness, lethargy, rapid breathing, and pale mucous membranes etc.
- Garlic poisoning signs may include dehydration, depression, abdominal pain, vomiting etc. A dog has to consume more than 15 – 30 grams to get really sick.
- Garlic bread normally consists of herbs, cheese, oils, and butter which can easily upset the dog’s stomach. It is merely a source of high-calorie food which must be avoided.
- Avoid feeding garlic supplements without consulting the vet.
- If garlic poisoning is confirmed, the vet might suggest intravenous fluids for fast recovery and blood transfusions in certain cases.
40Can dogs eat green beans?
Yes, canned, raw, steamed, or chopped – all plain green beans are safe for your dog. Moreover, there are certain green beans risks that can be avoided
- Feeding whole, large green bean can lead to breathing problems
- Onions and garlic mixed green bean recipes
- Spices and oils included green bean recipes
- More salt added canned beans
Health benefits of Green Beans
- Green beans contain vital nutrients such as vitamins K, C, A, B6, calcium, iron, and protein.
- Low in calories and high in fiber; green beans can provide a wholesome diet.
- Green beans can help to lose that extra pounds your dog has gained through exercises and other activities. Diet moderation must also be taken into consideration depending on their lifestyle, breed, and age.
- Obese dogs can suffer from kidney disease, heart disease, orthopedic problems, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, and Type 2 diabetes. They may also lose 2 years of their lifespan. Weight management in dogs is one of the easiest ways to get your dog back into shape.
Tips to follow before starting green bean diet
- The dogs which have trouble losing or gaining weights even after strictly following green bean diet might suffer from Cushing’s disease and
- Weight loss patients might require minerals, vitamins, fats, and amino acids based on their present weight. This can further lead to nutritional deficiencies and imbalances and your dog can regain the weight.
- The low-calorie treat can be included and it must be made sure that they do not exceed 10 percent of the dog’s daily diet.
41Can dogs eat ham?
Yes, they can but do they really need to eat them for their survival is the question we need to address.
Things to keep in mind before feeding your dog with ham
- We do agree dogs need protein. But can dogs digest them with ease like other protein products or not. Some sources claim it is easily digestible and some say the opposite.
- Market-bought ham contains preservatives such as nitrites and nitrates, all are sodium based. Salt toxicity signs are abnormal fluid accumulation, lethargy, urination and excessive thirst, diarrhea, vomiting. Excessive sodium intake can lead to coma, seizures, and kidney damage.
- Ham also has high-fat content which might cause serious indigestion problems. Dogs do not need more than 15 – 20 percent of animal fat in their dog food.
- Too ham intake can result in other digestive problems and For overweight dogs eating ham can create more troubles than one can anticipate.
Therefore, eating ham in moderation will be o.k. and frequently feeding your dog with ham must be avoided.
42Can dogs eat honey?
Before you decide to feed your dog with honey, keep these points in mind
- Honey is safe as long as it is given in small quantities only. It contains low levels of minerals and vitamins including natural sugars.
- High sugar levels in honey can cause obesity in dogs and it is necessary to brush your dog’s teeth after feeding him with honey because sugars in honey can cause tooth decay.
- Obese or diabetic dogs should not eat honey.
- Dogs with low capacity immune systems and young puppies should be safeguarded against eating raw honey as it contains botulism spores.
Health benefits of feeding honey to pets (dogs)
- Feeding your dog with honey in case it has been confirmed that he is free from pollen allergen can do some good such as sooting inflammations if any. Never feed your dog with honey without consulting your vet.
- Moreover, honey is reported to have antifungal and antimicrobial properties, cure allergies, soothe sore throats and stomach ulcers, and reduce inflammation.
- Therefore, before feeding a diabetic dog with honey, it is recommended to consult a vet to know the exact feeding quantity.
43Can dogs eat ice cream?
No, the reason why dogs should avoid eating icecreams include
- A dog’s body is not suited to digest any milk related products after their weaning stage.
- Eating ice creams can cause vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, and gas in dogs.
- Due to high sugar content in ice creams, it can cause unnecessary weight gain. The presence of xylitol in sweetener used in ice cream is highly toxic to dogs.
- Certain flavors such as chocolate ice creams contain theobromine which can prove to be extremely dangerous.
- Dogs suffering from dairy intolerance, diabetes, and obesity must not be fed with ice creams.
Other healthy alternatives to ice cream
- Homemade frozen yogurts or unsweetened, plain yogurt contains low levels of lactose because it is fermented in the first place.
- At present, there are “ice cream”, an ice cream made using frozen bananas. This ice cream variety is suitable for both dogs as well as humans. Never forget that moderation is compulsory.
44Can dogs eat lemons?
Yes, but not in large quantities. Still, it can create GI distress and for practical reasons, lemons do not pose huge health hazards unless consumed in large quantities.
Is lemon toxic?
- Naturally no, but the acidic nature of lemon can create diarrhea, weakness, vomiting, and stomach upset if consumed in large numbers. A peel can obstruct the GI tract depending on the size and quantity consumed.
- Moreover, lemons do have beneficial phytonutrients but when given with sugar, it is probably lost in the process. So, health wise they offer very fewer
- Dogs consuming lemon juice can suffer from stomach upset other than diarrhea and vomiting problems.
- In case your dog has mistakenly consumed large quantities of lemon, watch out for these signs -unusual behavior, of discomfort, exaggerated swallowing motions, nausea, vomiting, and frequent lip licking.
- Please rush your pet to the nearest vet if the above-mentioned signs are visible.
45Can dogs eat peanut butter?
Definitely yes, but in moderation only. Peanut butter contains niacin, vitamins E and B, healthy fats, and proteins to name a few.
The best option would be to feed your dog with homemade peanut butter or unsalted peanut butter because homemade peanut butter is free from high levels of sodium content. They also do not contain other preservatives or additives and extra sugar.
How much is safe for the dogs to eat?
Peanut butter contains protein and natural fats, but excessive intake can cause pancreatitis and obesity.
There are two ways to identify the right amount of peanut butter a dog can eat-
- First, of course, is to strictly adhere to the 10% rule where the quantity of treats does not make up more than 10% of the dog’s total diet.
- The second and safest option is to contact your vet before feeding your dog with peanut butter. However, it is best to treat your dog with other dog-friendly vegetables or fruits to avoid any future health complications.
Warning – Xylitol in peanut butter
Nowadays, many manufacturers are in the habit of using xylitol, a toxic substance to dogs, in their peanut butter products.
What is xylitol?
Xylitol is a chemical based sugar substitute mostly found in sugar-free food and bakery items including baked goods, chewable vitamins, breath mints, toothpaste, and chewing gum etc.
Side-effects of xylitol
- Xylitol intake can lead to the sudden release of insulin, which ultimately results in a profound and rapid decrease in sugar levels in dogs, and can turn into a life-threatening disaster if left unnoticed. This is known as hypoglycemia, and its impact can be noticed anywhere between 10 mins to 1 hour after eating xylitol.
- Xylitol toxicity can be avoided if the dog owners pay more attention to the details mentioned on the product label for xylitol and keep all xylitol products away from their dog’s reach.
- The signs of xylitol poisoning are seizures, coordination loss, staggering, collapse, and weakness etc. and if you happen to notice any of these signs contact your vet immediately.
Overall, dogs can be fed with peanut butter in moderation but without any xylitol content. Henceforth, do not keep your dog waiting in anticipation looking at the peanut butter container.
46Can dogs eat pork?
Yes, but it is necessary to stick to certain guidelines. Some of the guidelines are
- Leaving out the whistles and bells, plain pork can be given to your dog
- Spice rubs and seasonings that contain these items must be avoided
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- BBQ sauce must be definitely avoided as these condiments contain traces of onion, garlic, and high levels of salt and sugar.
47Can my dog eat raw pork and pork bones?
Undercooked or raw pork can contain a virus known as Trichinella spiralis larvae which can cause a condition called as trichinella parasites.
The symptoms are usually mild in nature
- Stiffness and pain
- Muscle inflammation
- Stomach upset
- Dogs with the weak immune system might suffer from severe symptoms.
- Always feed them with small quantities; pancreatic inflammation and indigestion are the likely causes of excessive pork intake.
- Feed your dog with edible, high-quality dental bone and not pork bones because the tender pieces can obstruct the internal organs and the esophagus.
- Large quantities of bacon can cause pancreatitis as they are extremely rich in salt content and fats whereas ham can cause a condition called as “Bloat”. In this condition, the dog will suffer from fluid, food, or gas accumulation in their stomach. The dog will be forced to drink more water as eating ham can cause dehydration in dogs and thereby excessive water intake will severely affect the health of the internal organs.
- Best alternative to pork is boiled, unseasoned, and plain chicken and that too when the dog is undergoing gastrointestinal issues. It contains amino acids, fats, minerals, and essential vitamins. They also act as a rich source of protein.
48Can dogs eat rib bones?
- Bones contain other nutrients and minerals and can help to manage a dog’s appetite. Bone chewing activates saliva enzymes and can help prevent gum disease and plaque buildup. A bone chewing dog is less susceptible to paw licking and excess scratch.
- Cooked, pork or poultry bones are strictly forbidden. They can break into shards which can cause serious damage to a dog’s intestines, throat, or mouth.
- Any type of bone, when broken into pieces, can damage or rupture the intestines, block the food pipe, can create the mouth and internal organs lacerations, and also constipation.
- According to vets, solid raw meat bones can do wonders for any dog.
- Give your dog a bone for a period of 10 – 15 minutes and then grab the bone and place it in the refrigerator. After 3 or 4 days, replace the old one with a new bone.
- Large dog breeds such as Mastiffs, Bloodhounds, and German Shepherd Dogs can be given beef shank bone or anything big in size larger than the dog’s muzzle.
- Dogs must be under constant supervision when they are chewing bones.
But, in general, simulated bones and market made chew toys are recommended by the vets as a safer option.
49Can dogs eat walnuts?
- According to vets, walnuts are fine but walnuts laced with chocolate are definitely a no-no. Black walnuts are completely toxic to dogs and horses but not for cats. Dogs are also prone to seizures and tremors from walnut hulls which contain penitrem A and are moldy in nature.
- Macadamia nuts can lead to hyperthermia, lethargy, tremors, and hind end weakness.
- Nuts generally contain very high-fat content which can cause an upset
- Keeping the thumb rule in mind, the walnut should never exceed 10 percent of your dog’s total diet.
Overall, walnuts are not a bad option if they happen to be crushed. Walnuts contain omega oils and high levels of protein. They can cause diarrhea, hives, and vomiting. The signs of walnut poisoning can be similar to consuming snail bait powder or eating pellets which can produce results similar to metaldehyde toxicity.
50Can dogs eat yogurt?
- Technically yes, but dogs will find it difficult to digest yogurt. Many dogs suffer from lactose intolerance and since yogurt has been fermented, some might be in a position to digest it.
- Yogurt can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and gas troubles if your dog has low resistance and digestive capabilities.
- Yogurts that are suitable for dog consumption are those that are free from artificial sweeteners such as xylitol and added sugar content. Yogurts filled with bacteria can aid in the better digestion of the lactose present in the yogurt.
- Remember, there are better probiotics such as FortiFlora without any lactose content for easy digestion.
- Therefore, yogurts are once in a while treats and it is best recommended to chose better dog-friendly
51Can dogs eat zucchini?
Yes, dogs can eat zucchini. Some of the health benefits of zucchini are
- This plant contains minerals, vitamins, and lots of fiber.
- One full cup of zucchini contains only 20 calories and has low cholesterol and fat content making it an ideal treat for dogs that are on a weight loss schedule.
How much can zucchini dogs eat?
- Even though zucchini is low in calories, only zucchini filled diet is not a healthy option. Treats normally should not exceed 10 % of the dog’s overall diet at any cost.
- Instead of feeding the dogs with large pieces, cutting them small ones and then feeding it to your dogs can prevent choking and other related hazards.
- Dogs must be fed only with plain raw, cooked or steamed without any onions, garlic, seasonings, salts, and oils.
- Avoid feeding your dog with zucchini based baked goods and zucchini bread because baked goods can cause intestinal distress, stomach upsets, and obesity.
- Zucchini plant, flowers, and it leaves are non-toxic in nature. The zucchini flowers are edible and can be fried and cooked for human consumption.
In case of any trouble, contact our vet as soon as possible.
52What can't dogs eat?
Some of the human foods that are not suitable for dog consumption are
- Macadamia nuts – Definitely no. Being part of the Proteaceae group, they can cause damage to the nervous system, lethargy, walking trouble, rise in body temperature, and vomiting. So avoid it at any cost.
- Ice cream – Canines like dogs generally do not take lightly to lactose and frozen yogurts are a better choice. Other alternatives are pineapples, apples, raspberries, and strawberries as a treat to your dog.
- Garlic – Like garlic, chives, leeks, and onions, it more toxic because in the Allium plants. The side- effects of garlic are collapsing, weakness, heart rate problems, and sometimes even anemia.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon oils and cinnamon can cause can affect the dog’s mouth and make them sick and uncomfortable. It can cause liver disease, decreased heart rate, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even inhaled in the form of powder, cinnamon can create choking, coughing, and breathing difficulties.
- Chocolate – They contains a toxic known as methylxanthines that can affect their metabolic process. A little piece can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, seizures etc. So, avoiding them is the only option.
- Almonds – Almonds may not be toxic like macadamia nuts, walnuts, and pecans but they have the capacity to tear down the windpipe and salted almonds can increase the water content in their body, thereby affects the dog’s heart.
53What can dogs eat besides dog food?
There are certain food items other than dog food that a dog can eat
- Oatmeal – Highly beneficial for dogs with bowel irregularity. It is best suited for dogs with allergies to wheat based products. Cook the oatmeal before serving and avoid adding any flavors or sugar additives.
- Apple slices – Contains vitamin C and A freshens the dog’s breath and are a great source of fiber. Remove the core and seeds before feeding them.
- Green Beans – They are low in calories and select green beans without any salt.
- Eggs – Eggs contain selenium and riboflavin and give your dog a nice protein boost.
- Pumpkin – A natural source of vitamin A and beta-carotene. It keeps the intestinal tract clean and easy.
- Salmon – Contains Omega 3 fats and helps to maintain your dog’s immune system hale and healthy. Feed him with fish skins, add few drops of salmon oil, and cooked salmon as well.
- Yogurts – They contains active bacteria that are good for the dog’s digestive tract and are also high in protein and calcium. Avoid ones with artificial sweeteners and preservatives.
- Baby Carrots – Carrots contain vitamin A or beta-carotene and are a rich source of fiber content.
- Cheese – Provide with only low-fat varieties and cottage cheese are best.
- Cooked Chicken – A nice replacement for regular meals and add extra protein and spice to its diet.
- Peanut Butter – Avoid peanut butter products with artificial sweeteners such as xylitol.
54Which nuts can dogs eat?
- Nuts that are considered safe for dogs include cashews, almonds, and peanuts. But caution must be exercised as nuts generally contain high levels of fat and can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
- Dog’s should not be fed with black walnuts or macadamia nuts since both contain toxic materials.
- Unsalted and dry roasted peanuts are also considered safe for dogs.
- Roasted or cooked cashews can be given to dogs since high-temperature preparation eliminates the toxin in them.
- Hazelnuts are loved by dogs as they are non-toxic.
55Which bones can dogs eat?
Bones are always dog’s best friend other than their owner.
The bones dogs can eat are
♦ Recreational bones – A large size joint bone that gives the dog plenty of chewing satisfaction.
Commonly known recreational bones are beef leg bones and knuckle bones. It is the prerogative of the owner to immediately discard the bones once they have shrunk in size. When cooked, they are exclusively labeled for dogs.
♦ Raw Bones – Raw bones such as oxtail bones, beef, lamb, turkey, or raw chicken can be fed to your dog. They have the ability to keep the dog’s teeth clean. A full fish can also be provided to your dogs and dogs love chewing them with ease.
Bones to avoid include poultry and cooked fish because these bones can easily break into shards and damage the dog’s esophagus as well as the digestive tract. Avoid feeding beef bones, chicken, or cooked fish as they can damage throat, teeth, and gums.
So, to be on a safe side feed your dogs with bones that are labeled specifically and remember to monitor your dog while he is gnawing on his favorite dish.
56How can dogs eat raw meat?
It is best advised that dogs should not be fed with raw meat.
Why should dogs avoid raw meat?
- As per reports from AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) undercooked and raw meat contains lots of pathogens and bacteria including listeria and salmonella. So, AVMA does not recommend raw meat products.
- It is best recommended to use only commercial raw foods that are prepared using high-pressure pasteurization.
- Only high-quality raw meats must be used for feeding and those that look and smell fresh. Store the meat in a frozen condition and make sure the place is clean and safe.
- As long as the raw meat meets the dog’s nutritional requirement, dog’s can be fed with raw meat. More than 50% -75% of a dog’s diet must contain animal protein and a pup’s diet must contain at least 60% animal fats.
The health benefits of Raw foods (meat)
- Helps people with diabetes and arthritis
- Improves energy levels
- Helps to maintain lean mass and normal weight
- Less smell and less stool
- Better digestion
- Improves oral health
- Healthy coat and skin
Overall, before feeding your dog with raw meat contact your vet for a suggestion.
57How can dogs eat bones?
- Cooked bones should be avoided. They can turn brittle and can break into shards that can cause enormous gastrointestinal tract issues. Avoid store-bought as well as homemade
- In case of raw bones, choose a bone that is not smaller than the size of the dog’s head. Moreover, bone chewing can cause mental simulation and also help to keep the teeth clean.
- No matter whichever bone you feed your dog, constant supervision is necessary.
- Gnawing on round, large bones can lead to infections of abscesses, tooth root, and broken teeth. Raw bones are also susceptible to Salmonella and this can affect both humans as well as your pets.
So, contact your vet and decide wisely.
58What can dogs eat to repel fleas?
One of the main problems that can affect your dog during summer is fleas. An affected dog might develop infections or skin problems and become ill.
Steps to prevent fleas from affecting your dog
- The first step is to brush your dog’s coat to detect any fleas or ticks.
- Keep your pet’s bed as neat and clean as possible.
- Place commercial electric traps to track the fleas.
- Dip rosemary in water and allow it to boil for at least half an hour. Discard the rosemary and strain the content. Add lots of water and then wait for it to cool. When the water has reached a bearable temperature pour the water over your Allow it to dry naturally.
- Take a few drops of lavender oil and rub it in the neck region and also to the tail base after the dog has completed its bath. It will repel fleas and also make it smell nice.
- Adding garlic and brewer’s yeast to the dog’s diet can repel fleas. But take the vet’s advice before feeding your dog with garlic.
- Add apple cider vinegar, at least a spoonful to the dog’s It causes the dog’s skin to turn more acidic and fleas are not big fans of apple cider vinegar. In case if your dog shows any aversion to apple cider vinegar, mix 50:50 (apple cider vinegar with water) and spray it on their body after covering their face.
- Cut a lemon into halves and place it in a bowl of hot water. After allowing it to remain in the bowl overnight then spray it on your pet, behind its ears, near the tail base, and under the dog’s legs.
- Diatomaceous earth powder has the capacity to dehydrate the insect’s exoskeletons and thereby cripple their growth. Be sure to buy food grade and not garden or pool grade from the stores. Apply it lightly on your dog’s fur.
- Dusting powder has the capacity to repel fleas and to prepare dusting powder at home
- Contents – Salt, baking soda, and borax
- Procedure – Mix 1.5 cups salt, 1.5 cups baking soda, and 4 cups borax. Sprinkle it all over the carpet. Diatomaceous earth can also be included in this mixture. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the house next day. Place a few spoons of this repellant in the vacuum bag and it will take care of the rest.
- Rose geranium oils and Citronella are considered as natural flea or tick repellents. Add at least 10-12 teaspoons of this repellent and spray it all over the yard or garden.
59Can dogs eat canned tuna?
There are many dog foods that contain fish because they are a rich source of omega-3 fats and proteins. Eating tuna can cause serious health issues.
- The problem with tuna is the level of mercury contents. According to reports from USFDA, fresh tuna contains more mercury content than tilapia and
- Consuming excess mercury can result in serious health issues
- Mercury simply enters the lake or other water bodies due to large-scale industrial The mercury then gets deposited in the fish. The longer and larger the fish, the mercury content increases with the age of the fish…Tunas have a longer lifespan meaning the mercury content in a tuna fish will be more.
- Humans are advised to consume tuna as per their weight, for example, a 5-ounce tuna per seven days is recommended for a man whose weight is 154 lbs.
- The best option is to avoid feeding your dog with tuna and opt for safer fish varieties such as Arctic char, flounder, herring, whitefish, and salmon
Generally, tunas are not toxic and a small portion will never cause mercury poisoning However the signs of mercury toxicity are
- Bloody diarrhea or watery
- Blood vomit
- Paw numbness
- Coordination loss
- Abdominal swelling and lack of urination problem
- Hair loss
So, dogs can eat tuna but due to the high content of mercury in tuna, it is safer to avoid feeding them…
60Can dogs eat candy?
No, some diet products, baked goods, toothpaste, gum, and candy contains sweeteners known as xylitol. It can lead to liver failure and affect the blood sugar levels.
The known signs of xylitol poisoning include coordination problems, lethargy, and vomiting. Eventually, a seizure followed by liver failure is not ruled out.
61Can dogs eat canned pumpkin?
Pumpkin available in a nice pureed form is often referred to as canned pumpkin. It contains vitamins C and A, zinc, iron, potassium, magnesium, and beta-carotene along with other benefits such as very low cholesterol and fat level combined with high fiber content.
In spite of no proven scientific proof, it is highly beneficial for a dog’s immune system, coat, eyes, skin, and it is known that the fiber content present in the canned pumpkin is helpful for dog’s digestive tracts.
Canned pumpkin consists of around 90% water and it is highly nutrient dilute. It is excellent in preventing hairballs. It enables the dog’s to pass stools comfortably, not too hard or loose. The fiber content acts as a terrific binding solution absorbing the excess water content and help them to handle diarrhea in a better fashion.
What is the right amount of canned pumpkin to feed your dog?
The exact amount is actually determined based on the dog’s species and its size. A Great Dane can consume at least 50% of one large can of canned pumpkin whereas a Chihuahua, can be satisfied with few teaspoons with every meal.
Pureed pumpkin and not pumpkin pie is the need of the hour. Excess intake of canned pumpkin can cause loose bowel movements and before feeding the owner has to confirm whether the dog is free from pancreatitis.
Therefore, it is recommended to consult a vet before feeding your dog with canned pumpkin.