Created and popularized by Columbian choreographer, a cycling enthusiast, and an innovative dancer, Alberto “Beto” “Power Pedal” Perez invented Zumba way back in the nineties.
Zumba is a combination of aerobic exercise movements and inventive dance steps performed to refreshing Latin music. Moreover, Zumba classes are an ideal way to shed piles of calories effortlessly.
Furthermore, it is currently followed by millions of people all over the world.
In this article, we have discussed Zumba for the benefit of the masses at large and also about its valuable health benefits.
In The Article
Why Zumba - A Party Workout Or A Boring Exercise Regime?
Who said workouts have to be demanding and exhausting? If you are an old-school fitness freak who wish to hit the gym just to look massive and bulky, then we have an alternative fitness solution for you to try.
Folks, workouts or fitness regime need not be the same old boring chore.
First of all, a workout should look appealing and enticing. Zumba proves that it is not only attractive but at the same time effective as well.
The Zumba music is pretty much cheery, infectious, and electric, thereby forcing you to shake a leg. Since it is conducted in groups it enables you to mingle with your near and dear ones or make new friends on a frequent basis.
Finally, at the end of every Zumba class, you will feel like you have just now walked out of a dance party and not from a grueling training session. What more can you ask friends?
Zumba Classes - A Disguised Weight Loss Program
Zumba classes are designed in such a way that it acts as a perfect weight loss exercise program resulting in shedding large quantities of calories in a carefree way.
A person who has enrolled in a Zumba class will lose around 500 to 1000 calories per session.
With Zumba classes constructed to maximize energy burn out in terms of high-intensity dance movements that merges well with the music played, it is a delightful experience indeed.
Fitness/exercise moves are also incorporated providing a wholesome body workout.
A typical Zumba class or classes will in all probability include plyometric jumps, a couple of push-ups done slowly, a squat session, and other exercises as well.
Zumba Fitness Benefits For Everyone
In general, Zumba fitness (aerobics) or Zumba dance classes are an awesome exercise or fitness workout schedule for everyone/anyone to follow.
From toning, the body to looking hot and chic are some of the benefits offered by this dance cum fitness program.
The various benefits offered by Zumba aerobics or Zumba classes:
◊ Improves Mental Fitness – Every Zumba class in a way or other help you to relieve stress and mental agony.
In reality, you will be meeting and interacting with interesting people from various walks of life.
Most of all, your inter-personal social skills will improve drastically since you are constantly sharing information and greeting friends on a frequent basis.
Zumba classes are mostly held thrice a week, giving you an opportunity to make and cement new relationships.
As a result, Zumba aerobics acts as a mental cleanser and improves your mental health unequivocally.
◊ Acts as a Confidence Booster – To participate in a Zumba session you need not be an expert dancer.
It is enough if you are prepared to shed all your inhibitions about your body and gather the confidence to participate in these classes.
As a matter of fact, a Zumba class will ultimately assist to create a sense of happiness and also improve one’s posture.
Therefore, it helps us to feel good about ourselves enabling our confidence to soar sky-high.
◊ No age limit to join Zumba classes – Zumba aerobics are open to all irrespective of their age and sex. Since Zumba involves dance and music, it is pretty much self-explanatory.
Anyone from any place can practice Zumba since dance and music are universal in nature.
◊ An Invisible Magnetic Pull – The beauty of Zumba is that you will feel like you have turned young and energetic once again.
The Zumba dance steps will captivate our heart, make us come back time and again like iron fillings take a magnet. It gets us hooked, making us wait in anticipation for the next session to start.
◊ Anaerobic Health Benefits – The main advantage is that it helps to improve our anaerobic endurance capacity at a brisk pace. It increases the level of oxygen intake while practicing Zumba on a continuous basis.
In conclusion, Zumba plays a big role in helping us to retain a good robust cardiovascular respiratory network.
◊ Zumba Aerobic Health Benefits – Zumba guides us to maintain target heartbeat rate at higher levels compared to standard exercise routines. Zumba music consists of songs that touch more than 145 (Beats per minute or BPM).
When such high-intensity music is played, the intensity of the song will obviously aid in improving the heart health if practiced for a prolonged period of time.
The endurance level will soar high after a few Zumba sessions itself.
◊ A Complete body workout – An amalgamation of fitness and dance. Apart from heart benefits, it enhances the overall health of the body.
Starting from head to toe, it increases the strength of the ankles and calves, helps to maintain particular body shape, and releases tension in the neck if any.
As a result, every joint and muscle in the body will be kept active and healthy.
◊ Increases the levels of co-ordination – By participating in a Zumba dance session, it will definitely improve body coordination at the very outset.
Zumba invariably helps older people to postpone coordination related health ailments.
Some of the Zumba class types
- Zumba beginners class or Zumba for beginners – Obviously, Zumba is not rocket science and any first-timer can just hop into a session after registering for one. A Zumba instructor will lead the class and it won’t be difficult to follow the trainer.
- Zumba for kids – This dance routine focuses on kid-friendly fitness moves derived from original Zumba dance. It features fun activities for kids in the age group of 7 to 11.
- Aqua Zumba – A charming fitness model which combines water and Zumba philosophy into one. Well, the result is a spectacular session of happiness and laughter in water.
- Senior citizens classes (Zumba Gold) – A subsided level of intensive training that recreates original Zumba moves for older adults who wish to remain alert and active.
- Standard Zumba – A normal session of Zumba to enjoy, participate and get enthralled.
Pros And Cons Of Zumba-Is Zumba The One-stop Fitness Solution For All?
Yes, many of us would be aware of the slogan “Join the Party, Ditch the Workout” and man it is a never-ending party.
Zumba now reaches more than 12 million fitness freaks in more than 0.1 million locations worldwide. The list is growing at a swift pace.
The pros of attending Zumba classes
- Zumba does not require one to have previous knowledge of dance and fitness.
- It is open to all age groups.
- Consists of simple steps; fun to learn.
- There is no hard and fast rule in Zumba. We have to just keep moving.
- It does not feel strenuous or tedious.
- A complete cardiovascular workout model. A 60-minute break free Zumba dance class can help to burn around 450 calories.
- Most of the time, classes are held thrice or twice a week. If anyone takes part in the dance schedule for more than twice a week, they would have completed their week’s quota of aerobic activity.
- Endorphins are released when Zumba is performed, and this mood-enhancing hormone makes us feel good.
- Zumba health benefits include improving one’s confidence level and self-esteem.
- If you are looking to lose weight and at the same time look good, Zumba for weight loss is an ideal program.
- Consult your local Zumba instructor or contact those who conduct Zumba classes near your house for more details.
- Zumba at home can also be practiced depending on one’s personal choice or desire. Zumba DVD’s are available in the market for those who wish to learn and practice at home.
- The best option is to hire an instructor if money is not a concern.
Some of the cons of Zumba classes
- Mostly, a big room/space for Zumba classes are required to start with.
- The package also includes a tonic stick, which needs improvement.
- Some of them might get distracted because of the camera and light transition, making it inconvenient to master the steps.
- Latin music or Zumba music may not be the preferred music choice of all the participants.
- People who suffer from severe arthritis or joint inflammation cannot attend Zumba exhilarate or Zumba for seniors classes or any Zumba session for that matter.
- They have to consult/discuss with their doctor and Zumba instructor before jumping onto the bandwagon.
- Zumba costume/Zumba apparel may not be liked by all. There are those who prefer to wear the costume of their choice and not the one recommended.
- Classes can be scheduled at an inconvenient time, especially people who work in multiple shifts may find it hard to attend them.
- Many of the clubs or gyms lay down prior condition such as compulsory membership to take part in Zumba sessions.
- Big cities have more Zumba instructors, thereby more options for city dwellers to choose from whereas people from small cities have little choice or no choice.
Zumba For Kids-A Child’s Play
An awesome exercise cum dance routine for all the young Zumba fans who wish to shake a leg or two. Zumba for kids program starts from a very young age, from 3 to 13-14 years of age.
Zumba for kids
- Routines that are kid-friendly in nature.
- Comprises of original choreography-Zumba.
- Children are given absolute freedom to swing, to dance freely, or jump.
- Consists of only age-appropriate activities and games.
- Teaches them the essence of teamwork and enables them to cultivate self-confidence at a very young age.
Health Benefits of Zumba Kids
There are numerous health benefits of Zumba dance program particularly for kids since it’s a cakewalk for them.
Some of the health benefits of Zumba kids program
- Encourages, enhances and polishes imagination and creativity.
- Hikes memory power.
- Gradually motivates them to tap hidden skills such as leadership quality etc.
- Strengthens teamwork.
- Acts as a mood enhancer.
- Undemanding fitness regime improves self-esteem.
- Boosts self – confidence.
- Encourages social bonding and communication.
Zumba Kids Classes in America
Check out these websites to enroll your kid in a Zumba class near your house.
Zumba Dance - Let’s Shake A Leg
Zumba dance mainly follows the dance patterns of tango, axé music, hip-hop music, samba, soca, reggaeton, chachacha, flamenco, mambo, merengue, salsa, and cumbia.
Moving to the peppy, upbeat music of merengue, flamenco, and salsa makes one believe that he/she is at a weekend party and not in any fitness training.
The positive results of doing Zumba dance are improved flexibility, increase in core strength capacity, and it ultimately helps us to melt fat without any doubt.
♥ A complete full-body fitness workout
♥ Improves heart condition
♥ Promotes better coordination and balance
♥ Makes you stronger and agile
♥ Burns anywhere between 100 to 250 calories (half-hour rigorous schedule); similar to jogging.
How to Lose Stomach Fat doing Zumba Dance?
♦ The key points to keep in mind
- A 60 min Zumba dance class can help you to lose 365 calories (approx.).
- Every 60 seconds- 9.5 calories can be burned doing Zumba dance.
- If you are ready to burn this kind of fat percentage daily, then losing stomach fat on a gradual basis is not a problem.
- According to experts, a minimum of 4 hours of moderate-high intensity fitness workout per week is necessary to shed unwanted calories.
- Five to six Zumba dance class per week can help you do this effectively.
- Finally, nobody can command the body to lose fat from a specific location. So, remain patient.
♦ Zumba Dance Steps For Beginners
- Don’t be rigid. Merge with the music.
- Wave/move your arms. Start with these basic steps.
- Move down and up more. Enjoy the Zumba music and continue doing workouts including straight-up, lunges, and squats.
- Shake off your inhibitions. Just get up and groove to the beats.
- Add your creative inputs.
Different types of Zumba Dance Classes or Zumba Workout
Before we actually start the dance session, we need to wear the right kind of Zumba shoes and Zumba costume to the class. Dressing for the occasion is important for a Zumba class.
- Plate By Zumba – In this class, the Zumba instructor will advise the audience on healthy eating habits. Every session will have something new to offer for the participants.
- Zumba In The Circuit – This program combines circuit training and quick-paced Zumba dance moves.
- Zumbini – Mainly aimed at kids in the age group of 0-3 years and is one of the most fun-filled gala group activity for both parents as well as for their kids.
- Zumba Kids Jr. – For kids who are in the age group of 4-6 years, joining this program will not only keep them occupied but at the same time make them happy.
- Zumba Kids – Zumba kids program targets children in the age group of 7-11 years and helps them to improve their confidence and creativity.
- Zumba Gold Toning – Content-wise this program has lots of similarities with Zumba Gold traditional program. The Zumba Gold Toning emphasizes lightweight training.
- Zumba Gold – The Zumba Gold workout is mainly aimed at senior citizens or the older generation. The purpose of this program is to improve overall fitness and cardiovascular health.
- Zumba Sentao – In this dance program, the Zumba instructor predominantly uses a chair to incorporate various dance routines. Zumba Sentao ultimately enhances more blood flow to the heart and this results in overall health improvement.
- Aqua Zumba – For water lovers, this is nothing but the best workout model available. The dance moves remain the same but the moves are performed in a swimming pool.
- Zumba Toning – In Zumba toning, the core target areas that get strong are arms, thighs, and abs, etc. Toning sticks are primarily used for this purpose.
- Zumba Step – A unique combination of distinct dance moves and step aerobics, this dance fitness program fits those who are considering to improve their muscular power and tone, particularly their legs.
- Zumba – A dance fitness program that suits all irrespective of their age. Covers various fitness aspects such as flexibility, balance, and muscle conditioning including cardio.
Zumba Songs-Top Hot Sizzling Zumba Songs For A Perfect Workout
Each and every Zumba fan cum lover has a distinct taste when it comes to Zumba music. From Bollywood to hardcore Latin music to fast-paced theme music, the choice is endless and magical.
To make your job easy, we have listed some cute Zumba songs that can turn your dance session into an interesting fun party.
- Slide Zumba en Guayaquil
- La Mordidita
- Don Omar’s Zumba
- Coscullela’s Prrumm
- Shake It by Mr. Vegas ft. Anane
- Jai Ho (Pussycat Dolls ft. A.R. Rahman)
- Rain Over Me Zumba
- Taal Se Taal Mila Western Version (Movie- Taal)
- Hips don’t lie ft. Wyclef Jean (Shakira)
Zumba Accessories - Zumba Shoes, Zumba Costumes/Attire/Clothes
We have listed some of the “must-haves” every Zumba practitioner should possess. The list is just indicative and not exhaustive. Zumba shoes can cost US$ 65 onwards and can vary as per brand and style.
- ASICS GEL-Fit Sana Cross
- RYKA Women’s Dynamic
- PUMA Cell Riaze
- ZUMBA Z1
- RYKA Downbeat
- Dance it Out Tee
- Switch it Up Leggings
- Club Camo Shorts
- Party In Da Basement gear
- The Mesh of The Party Tight Tank
The list is just indicative and not exhaustive.
To buy nice-cool Zumba accessories/gear, visit- Zumba.com
Zumba Classes In USA And Zumba Classes Cost
Zumba classes are not mere fitness training programs, they are hyper appealing dance parties in disguise. Zumba classes are taught at home, in private, or in groups.
- Zumba classes range from US$ 5 to US$20(approx.), per session, based on the instructor’s certification level and location.
- Zumba toning includes 1 to 2.5 lbs of weight training.
- Zumbatonic is ideal for kids in the age group of 4-12. The cost varies from US$ 12 to US$ 15(approx.) per session based on the location.
- Private lessons or Zumba classes at home can cost a minimum of US$ 80 onwards per session. A group class can be conducted at much lesser rates, ranging from US$ 10 onwards per session.
- Zumba toning exercise sticks can cost anywhere from US$ 15 onwards based on brand and weight.
Top Zumba Dance Training Centers in the USA
Contact Number- +1-954-925-3755
Contact Timing- 08:00am to 08:00pm
- California Arts Academy, California
Contact Number- +1-559-222-6539
Blackstone (Mon- Fri-08:30am to 09:00pm, Sat-08:30am to 03:30pm)
Wishon (Mon-Thur-03:30pm to 08:00pm, Sat-09:00am to 01:00pm)
- Alvin Ailey, New York
Contact Number- +1-212-405-9000
- LA Dancefit Studio, Los Angeles
Contact Number- +1-310-473-3530
- Zumba Brooklyn, NY-MMC Hall
Contact Number- +1-347-599-2589