The term Red wine glass signifies those glasses that are manufactured exclusively for using different kinds of red wines.
These glasses have a rounder, wider bowl, which increases the rate of oxidation. When the oxygen from the air comes into contact or mixed with the wine, it results in bringing a slight change in the aroma and taste of the wine.
This process of oxidation is generally considered more compatible with red wines, whose complex flavors are said to be smoothed out after being exposed to air.
In The Article
Kinds Of Red Wine Glasses
Bordeaux glass is tall with a broad bowl and is manufactured with the intent of enabling drinking of full-bodied red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. This glass can move the wine up to the back of the mouth.
Burgundy glass appears a bit wider when compared to Bordeaux glass. It has a bigger bowl to accumulate aromas of more delicate red wines such as Pinot Noir.
This glass is designed in such a way wherein it can direct the wine up to the tip of the tongue.
Size Of Red Wine Glasses
Currently, the average size of a small red wine glass would be around nine ounces (270 mL). However, the most commonly seen red wine glasses to be in use now are the 12- and 14-ounce (415 mL) categories.
Benefits Of Consuming Red Wine
- The antioxidants like resveratrol and proanthocyanidins are believed to be responsible for the health benefits of red wine.
- Proanthocyanidins could be helpful in alleviating the oxidative damage that could be caused to the body.
- Apart from this, it might even be a good inhibitor of heart disease and cancer. It is notable that Resveratrol is present in the grape skin.
- Red wine can help in effectively managing diabetes
- Red wine can even help individuals suffering from obesity to tackle it efficiently
- Red wine can fight out the accumulation of free radicals, which develops chronic and degenerative diseases.
- The diseases comprise cancer, autoimmune diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegenerative diseases.
- The antioxidants present in red wine will be valuable in encountering oxidative stress by acting as free radical scavengers that prevent and repair damage caused by oxidation.
- Antioxidants enhance the body’s immune defenses and lower the risk of developing a number of serious health conditions.
- According to the study of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, positive results of red wine were notable in its role in escalating the level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein).
- According to some research study, its findings were that people who eat a Mediterranean diet, consisting of red wine, vegetables, legumes, fruits, fish and olive oil, have a 28 percent lower risk of developing mild cognitive impairment and a 48 percent lower risk of progressing from mild cognitive impairment to Alzheimer’s disease.
Some Interesting Facts About Red Wine
- Alcoholic beverages such as red wine consist of empty calories. Most of the 125 calories in a single glass generally come from sources with little or no nutritional value.
- These sources consist of 15.6 g of alcohol and 3.8 g of carbohydrates. Some of the few calories in wine generally come from protein and fat.
- A glass of wine only consists of .1 g of protein and no fat or cholesterol. Moreover, a glass of wine also consists of less than 1 g of sugar and no fiber.
- Red wine contains various minerals like iron, potassium, manganese, phosphorus, and fluoride. It also has vitamins like Riboflavin and Vitamin B6.
For more details about red wine, click here
Differences Between Red Wine Glasses And White Wine Glasses
Red Wine Glasses
- These glasses have a broader and rounder bowl and look relatively taller than white wine glasses
- The wider mouth of red wine glasses can ensure the joy of drinking to a person because it allows more air to come in contact with the wine. However, the stem part looks average in size
- The process of oxidation is important because these glasses generally carry the aroma and taste of the red wine, that has a bolder appearance.
- Red Wine glasses may be lacking an elegant look because of a medium-sized stem and a wider mouth appearance
- There are four kinds of Red wine glasses:
- Red wine glasses can release a strong aroma
- The red wine glasses can be used for drinking a variety of red wines comprising of:
- Cabernet Franc
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- Petite Sirah
- Red wines are always fermented with the skin and seeds of red grapes
- The highest category of a red wine glass that is available in the market in terms of holding capacity is 14 ounces i.e. 415 ml of red wine can be filled
- Since red wine contain a high level of tannin, they are kept in barrels for a few months before they are bottled
- Red wine contains more alcohol content due to the sugar that is present in the grapes, which turns into alcohol after fermentation
- Red wine has a complicated set of flavors ranging from fruity, spicy to meaty. The fruity tastes and aromas are generated in this wine due to the mix of fruits like strawberry, raspberry, cherry, and cranberry.
- Drinking red wine has good effects like averting damage to the blood vessels flowing through the heart and even alleviate LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol
White Wine Glasses
- Comparatively, White Wine Glasses have a very slim look overall and a smaller bowl shape
- The white wine glasses have a smaller mouth but a longer stem
- Oxidation is not required and lesser this process the taste of white wine will be enhanced
- White Wine glasses have an elegant appearance and the long stem of this glass is more comfortable for a drinker to hold and enjoy the drink
- White wine glasses are three types:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- White Burgundy
- White wine glasses do not have such a feature
- There are many kinds of white wines, for which the white wine glasses can be used and they are:
- Chenin Blanc
- Muscat Blanc
- Pinot Gris
- Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc
- White Burgundy
- White Bordeaux
- White wines, very occasionally undergo fermentation process where the white grapes are fermented with the skins and seeds
- The highest category of white wine glass size that is available in terms of holding capacity is 12 ounces i.e. 360 ml of white wine can be filled
- White wine is required to be bottled right after its manufacture since it can lose its freshness and will not be able to give that real taste to the people who have a penchant for drinking it
- Comparatively, white wine has a lesser alcohol content
- White wine offers a crisp, floral and lighter taste and mostly it contains the taste that is created due to the juicy extracts from citrus fruits like lemon and grapefruit, white fruits such as apple, quince, peach and apricot, and nuts like walnut and hazelnut
- Drinking white wine can be valuable in keeping the lung tissues of an individual in a healthy state