What is Mind Reading?
“Mind reading” or “emphatic accuracy” or “mindsight” is a kind of fascinating ability to map any person’ s mental state from their body language, emotions, and words. Mind reading allows us to achieve emotional bonding with others, cooperate, compete, and negotiate.
Persons suffering from any type of psychotic disorders and autism etc. may find it really hard to decipher others’ mind. Nowadays, mind reading is often referred to as telepathy – a technique where one individual is able to transfer the information to another individual without using any kind of physical interaction or known sensory channels.
Telepathy experiments for centuries have been disapproved for lack of repeatability and proper controls, paving way for the scientific community to call it as a pseudoscience. Therefore, mind reading is one of the most needed social intelligence in our present day society to handle and solve numerous trivial and crucial problems that hinder our overall wellbeing.
Can you Read People’s Minds?
Yes. Whether we admit it or not, we all are amateur uncertified psychics. Remember, without the ability or capacity to decipher others’ feelings and thoughts, we may find it really hard to handle some of the most elementary social situations – or master our true bond with others.
Let us take a look at some of the examples stated here
- When a husband finds his wife sobbing uncontrollably while she watches her favorite soap opera, her husband unknowingly and swiftly scours through his memory files – the way the things were going on in recent times, his wife’s relationship graph etc. He assimilates all these details and finally, he realizes the truth – His wife knows about his affair.
- A mother rushes to feed her baby when she hears her cry few hours after the last bottle. She knows her child is hungry.
Mind reading in day to day lives
- In our day to day lives, judging whether a close friend has started to grow indifferent or not, arguing with kids over exam schedule, or pushing for a salary raise, we all are continuing to read other’s minds.
- We are constantly making educated guesses about other’s state of mind, based on our emotional wellsprings, powers of reason, memory databank, our observations etc.
- In this way, we read other’s behavior and take a call on our forthcoming decisions.
- Moreover, we all claim or believe at some point in time that mind reading is insanely easy and ridiculous. But have we done it well? According to a leading psychologist, nobody has got it 100% right; the maximum accuracy rate does not exceed 60% almost in all cases.
In conclusion, it is important to understand that a certain degree of mindreading skills is required, for the society at large to progress on the right track.
Mind Reading Techniques
The art or science of reading other’s mind is widely known as “Mentalism” and the person employing this technique is called a “Mentalist”.
The ability to read someone’s mind without any physical interaction has baffled many leading psychologists and the educated for over three centuries.
Here, we have discussed some mind reading techniques and tips to help you to understand the real person hidden behind an invisible veil.
It is imperative for the mind reader to carefully watch and read the visual cues offered by the subject which might include
- Pupil Dilation – When people often hear topics that are relevant and close to their heart or lives, their pupils dilate automatically. It is easy to notice this revelation in subjects having eyes in light colors.
- Twitches – An unintentional twitch similar to pupil dilation can also reveal that the subject is relating the topic to his/her life more closely. Watching it closely can help to unravel their mind.
- Body language – Paying more attention to a person’s posture, mannerisms, and small gestures can also provide vital clues in revealing something about that person.
Simple mind reading techniques are
- Hot Reading – A mind reading technique in which the mind reader gains some amount of previous knowledge about the subject through loose talks and background research, hot reading is mostly employed in police or criminal investigations and in magic shows or art shows. The highlight is to escape getting caught while eavesdropping or observing the subject.
- Cold Reading – In this form of mind reading technique, the mentalist convinces the subject that his/her mental state is known to him. To do this, the mind reader studies the subject’s style of speaking, individual persona, body language, and looks etc.
To perform this technique, the mind reader employs
- Forer Effect – This effect is commonly known as “Barnum Effect” in psychology.
- In this technique, a series of fixed statements like you wish to remain loyal at all times to your near and dear ones, you feel guilty when you repeat the same mistake time and again etc.
- Fishing – Here, the mind reader uses ambiguous phrases like, “I’m somewhat sensing the letter A “and thereby provoking the subject to reveal more details associated with alphabet A in their life.
- Staging – The most credible technique is to convince the viewers to believe that you are in control. Using key phrases like “My guarding angel is talking to me right now” etc.
- Mirror technique – When a person mirrors or imitates the body language of another person, the person at the receiving end might reveal more inside information by shedding their inhibition.
- Avoid deception – Nowadays, eye contacts are maintained by person’s irrespective of their backgrounds and it is impossible to detect whether the subject is revealing the truth or not just by reading their eye contacts.
- Understand the muscle language – In this technique, the mind reader has to maintain a physical contact such as patting the subject’s back or holding their hands while talking. When the guess sounds correct, the mind reader has to observe the muscles moving. This is known as muscle reading.
However, in the field of psychology, there is no conclusive evidence to prove that reading or mapping other’s mind is possible or not.
Overall, mind reading is more of an educated guess which can be sharpened using the techniques mentioned above.
How to Read People’s Mind Through Their Eyes?
The latest modern scientific research reveals that eye movements can help to reveal personal information about a person.
What is a Saccade?
They are movements made by the eye to receive visual inputs and transfer the line of sight from one point to another.
A normal human being makes around 0.5 m saccades daily and around 3 to 5 saccades every second. A direct eye contact or an averted gaze can convey different meanings in different contexts.
So, we can understand that the directional rate of motion of the eye, the angle, and the quantity of eye white (the white portion in the eye is called as Sclera) reveals more personal information about the person.
These eye positions can reveal:
- Audio Digital – This movement represents the internal dialogue of the human mind.
For e.g. – How does this phone work?
- Kinesthetic – Reveals the emotional state of that person.ie, happy, sad etc.
- Audio Remembered – Remembering an audio memory. Recalling a song you heard last time.
- Audio Constructed – Hearing or assimilating new information. Watching a mimicry show performed by an artist.
- Visual Remembered – Recalling or evoking previously recorded visuals like the last time you met your friend.
- Visual Constructed – Picturing a new visual like meeting a new office colleague.
Which eye movements reveal personal details?
- Abnormal eyes can indicate a sign of mental illness.
- Lack of direct eye contact marks the onset of autism.
- Involuntary eye movements can mean ADHD problem.
- Eye movement alteration can reveal Alzheimer’s.
- Uncontrolled eye movements can represent neurodegenerative problems.
- REM (Rapid eye movement) maximizes positive emotions.
- Gaze cues represents political disposition
- Fatigue and slow eye movements are inter-related
- Plodding eyes means a wandering mind.
- Swift and quick eye movements represent hasty decision making.
Telepathy and Mind Reading
- Telepathy deals with the process of transferring information from one person to another or from one living being to another without using any form of physical interaction or known sensory human channels. As on date, there is no credible scientific proof to justify the existence of telepathy and it is considered only as alchemy or pseudoscience.
- Mind reading differs from telepathy – The subject involved in mind reading does not voluntarily reveal information and it is the prerogative of the mentalist to find answers to the questions raised through verbal and other techniques.
- In other words, mind reading or mindsight is more of a nonverbal decoding technique employed by the mentalist.
Books on Mind Reading
Our top recommended books for mind reading:
Mind Reading Games
Some of our top picks:
Recommended Mind Reading Apps
Here are our top picks:
Mind Reading Tricks
- Present an array of 6 cards and ask the viewers to pick anyone without revealing the card.
- Now without the knowledge of the viewers, replace all the cards with a new set of five cards.
- Then inform the gathering that the chosen card has vanished from the pack.
- The crowd will be thrilled to see your mind-reading
Identify the age using the phone number
- Pick the last digit of the cell phone or the phone number
- Multiply it by 2
- Now add 5 to the total
- Multiply the answer by 50
- Then, add 1766 to the total
- Now, subtract your birth year from the answer
- The result will be a 3 digit number. The first digit represents your mobile’s last digit and the remaining digits reveal the age.
Find the magic number
- Pick a number between 1 to 10. Do not say it aloud.
- Multiply it by 2
- Add 8 to the total
- Divide the total by 2
- Subtract the original number from the answer
- Convert the total into an alphabet. For eg- if the total is 10, then choose the alphabet “J”.
- Ask them to think of a country in the world that starts with the letter obtained in the previous step.
- Now ask the audience to skip an alphabet and choose the next alphabet. Then ask them to pick an animal starting in that alphabet.
- The most probable answer is – An elephant in Denmark.