Wonder Fruit Mango Remains The Pride Of South East Asia And India As These Two Countries Hold The Privilege Of Being The Origin Of The Fruit. The name “mango” was coined in English from the word “mankay” which means mango in the Tamil language.
The fruit has been in existence for more than 4000 years now. There are over 1000 varieties of mangoes. Now, let us start researching to know the mango benefits.
In The Article
Mango Nutritional Information
Calories In A Mango:
For a sample of 100 g fresh mango, the nutritional value that is based on the database released by the United States Department of Agriculture – National Nutrient database is as follows:
|Nutrient||Nutrient Value||% of Recommended Daily Allowance|
|Dietary Fiber||1.80 g||4.5%|
|Total Fat||0.27 g||1%|
|Vitamin A||765 IU||25.5%|
|Vitamin C||27.7 mg||46%|
|Vitamin E||1.12 mg||7.5%|
|Vitamin K||4.2 µg||3.5%|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.160 mg||1%|
|Pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6)||0.134 mg||10%|
- Rich source of Vitamin A – Vitamin A is extremely crucial for the good health of our eyes and mangoes possess this strength. It ensures that eye problems due to Vitamin-A deficiency do not occur. The following problems that can be avoided are dry eyes, dark circles, burning sensation, itching, softening of cornea and night blindness.
- Contains high dietary fibre – The high dietary fibre in the fruit will avoid problems like constipation and assure normal bowel movements.
- Folic Acid – Mangoes contain folic acid, a healthy vitamin B with many advantages. For example, adequate intake of folic acid for pregnant women is necessary for the normal and safe mode of child delivery.
- Aids in digestion – Contains digestive enzymes to break down the protein and thereby avert problems like indigestion.
- Regulates the blood pressure levels in our body – Contains minerals like potassium and magnesium, which act as good regulators of blood pressure levels.
- Good for the heart – Has Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) which controls the level of homocysteine in our blood. Heart and blood vessel diseases will occur in any person with abnormal levels of homocysteine coupled with vitamin B6, B12 and folate deficiencies.
- Enhances our memory power – Presence of glutamine acid, a key protein in mango will enable our cells to stay active and it also increases our memory power.
- Cures Anemia – Mangoes can cure anaemia by raising the blood count level. A mango contains a high content of iron and this will prove beneficial for people with anaemia.
- Increases our skin complexion – Mango contains a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E. The stated strengths contribute to a shiny and soft skin with a fair complexion.
- Contains anti-cancerous properties – According to a research, mango prevents the formation of various cancers like colon and breast. It is made possible by Lupeol, a triterpenoid that is present in mango and it has good medicinal value.
Disadvantages Of Mango
Mangoes do have some demerits but if it is consumed in small or mediocre levels it will not cause problems. Some problems that might arise comprise of:
- Raises blood sugar levels – Since mango contains a high level of fructose, people with diabetes stand to face the big risk of a rising blood sugar level. Diabetic patients must avoid eating mangoes and even people of normal health must have a restricted intake.
- Causes Diarrhea – Mango, if eaten in its raw form will pave the way for stomach problems like diarrhoea. However, one should eat a limited quantity of mature mangoes for better health.
- Excessive weight gain – There is a high amount of calories in a mango and people who are on a weight loss plan will get negative results if they consume this fruit. Apart from the high calories, one must pick the right time for eating mangoes i.e. the reasonable amount of activity after consuming this fruit is essential.
- Causes indigestion – Excess consumption of mangoes will give room for digestion-related problems, especially indigestion
- Triggers allergic reactions –People with allergies must avoid eating this fruit. The symptoms in allergy-sensitive people after consuming mangoes are watery eyes, breathing problems, runny nose, sneezing and abdominal pain.
- Artificial Ripening of mangoes – In the last two decades, the practice of artificial ripening of mangoes is widely heard. For artificial ripening of mangoes, some people use Calcium carbide stones and this causes neural disorders, numbness and development of dreadful diseases like cancer. Artificial ripening of mangoes is relatable with allergic reactions.
- Mangoes in the form of fruit juice are harmful – Since the fibre strength in a mango is quashed off while preparing the mango juice, the fruit loses its nutritional value. Mangoes added with sugar and served as juice will only add empty calories and this will trigger weight gain. Avoid drinking mango juice because the health-related aspect is very low.
- Can induce throat irritation and problems like itching, swelling and blisters – During the summer season, people drink cold water quite often. If they eat mango instantly after drinking cold water, problems like throat irritation will most likely occur. Likewise, problems like blisters around the mouth, lips and tip of the tongue also arise. A sense of itchiness and swelling can also happen
Orange Mango Chicken
- First, take 3 tsp of olive oil
- 4 Raised chicken breast fillets
- Take 1/8 teaspoon of ground thyme
- Add some salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- Mango – One peeled, seeded and sliced
- Take, say 1/4 tsp (teaspoon) of ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Firstly, you need to heat the olive oil with the moderate heat in a medium-sized skillet.
- Place the chicken breast fillets in the skillet
- You must cook each side for at least 5 to 10 minutes
- Thereafter you need to season both sides with thyme, pepper and salt. You need to remove it and then keep it aside.
- Heat the lemon juice in the skillet at a moderate level of heat.
- Scrape the browned bits.
- Thereafter mix it with orange juice, mango, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Keep this mixture in high heat, cook and stir up for 4 to 5 minutes continuously till you get a thick gravy
- Now you can mildly spoon out this gravy carrying cooked chicken breast halves
- The orange mango chicken dish is now ready and it can be served