Sprint interval training (SIT) or high-intensity intermittent exercise(HIIE) or high-intensity interval training encompasses a type of interval training. This also comprises of cardiovascular exercise strategy substituting short intense periods of anaerobic exercise. In HIIT for weight loss segment, a trainer carries out a quick burst of super-intensity exercise repeatedly until completely exhausted to continue.
In addition to that, every gym at present contains HIIT; pushing the heartbeat rate to peak levels.
All in all, these intense training sessions last anything under thirty minutes.
Read Next: Ultimate HIIT Workouts For Beginners
How did Scientists Conclude HIIT Works?
The promise HIIT makes looks too good; high intense bursts improve muscle as well as heart health rapidly. But scientists claim these are not false and the reason they recommend HIIT is
- Mostly, the impact of the daily aerobic activity on your body remains negligible. However, emerging research dealing high-intensity interval training (HIIT) informs that this training technique reduces abdominal fat than regular body moves.
- Moreover, HIIT significantly improves both anaerobic and aerobic fitness.
- HIIT also reduces insulin resistance and enhances different types of skeletal muscle adaptations. This further impacts skeletal muscle fat content oxidation.
- HIIT further increases glucose tolerance level.
- Accumulating scientific evidence mentions that HIIT contains enough firepower to become effective and economical exercise protocol. Therefore, HIIT plays a key role in slashing fat existing in overweight persons.
- Scientists explain, in HIIT total quantity of exhausted calories appears far more in EPOC state. EPOC or Exercise Post-Oxygen Consumption undermines the body’s natural behaviour to move back to homeostasis right after the exercise.
- Overall, people love HIIT much more than regular hardcore fitness exercises. Not to mention, people follow a workout they love to do.
- HIIT workouts improve your endurance. In turn, HIIT triggers higher levels of mitochondria and improved blood pressure levels.
- Equally important, HIIT increases VO2 max. VO2 max refers to the maximum level of oxygen content your body can consume in a given period of time. VO2 max depends on various factors such as the amount of blood an individual’s heart can generate. Other factors include endurance levels and RBC level you have.
- Most strikingly, VO2 max identifies the fitness quotient of a person.
Benefits of HIIT
- HIIT workouts are more efficient – HIIT workouts produce the same or if not better results in 50% lesser time doing low-intensity longer workouts.
- Comprises of various exercises – It’s a well-known fact that HIIT comprises of more exercises than just sprinting. People who did cycling intervals witnessed increased levels of heart rate and VO2 max.
- Good for the heart – HIIT enhances elasticity and flexibility of veins and arteries much better than regular aerobic exercise. This training method improves the blood vessels’ pressure demand.
In conclusion, HIIT acts as a good health stimulant in persons suffering from coronary artery disease.
HIIT Training Research
According to an experiment, a group of fitness enthusiasts were tested after doing intense pedalling for 30 seconds. Subsequently, these trainers rested for a period of three minutes.
The HIIT Training Research experiment results provided some startling details
- Certain channels that regulate calcium content in the muscle cells suffered terribly. In the first place, calcium remains really important for cell signalling. However, the rapid acute demands activated by HIIT forced the cell to work efficiently. Furthermore, the cells also adjusted their energy production drastically.
- Another important revelation includes a multi-fold increase of free radicals due to HIIT training.
- The experiment also revealed that one schedule of HIIT sparked molecular changes. Moreover, these changes remained detectable almost one day in an ordinary muscle biopsy.
- The muscle cells change themselves for further sessions of HIIT. They postulate how quickly and how much energy it requires to sustain during intense HIIT session.
In conclusion, if you are yet to commence your HIIT session, get it started today. What are you waiting for?