Can Beer Lovers Rejoice Peacefully? Today, when you reach out for a beer can, you have far too many choices. Well, right now you are most probably imagining the taste. On the contrary, are you aware of anything else about beer?
History of Beer
Beer! It is a globally popular drink. Do you know that beer is the oldest beverage, created by humans? The beer was first produced in Iran, 7000 years ago. The drink gradually spread its presence to countries like Egypt and Mesopotamia and then became prominent, worldwide. Furthermore, Beer is an inevitable part of the culture of various nations where beer festivals are held annually.
Beer Alcohol Content
Pros of Drinking Beer
As long as you drink beer, wine, or any alcoholic drink in moderation, you can enjoy some health benefits.
- Beer is a natural drink – Beer is an all natural drink because it contains natural preservatives like alcohol and hops.
- Contains high presence of Vitamin B – Unfiltered beer is found to be highly nutritious and loaded with Vitamin B, especially folic acid, which is known to curtail heart attack. As per a study, Vitamin B6 increases in beer drinkers due to the presence of hops.
- Enables to maintain a relaxed mindset – Beer consumption will infuse that relaxed feel amongst those who drink it. However, mediocre levels of consumption should be maintained.
- Contains high fibre – The beer carries high fibre strength and always regulates the appetite quite well. Therefore, it is considered as a good laxative that curbs overeating.
- Increases HDL and lowers LDL – Through drinking beer, the levels of good cholesterol (HDL) High-density lipoprotein in our body can be raised but only if consumed moderately. According to a research study finding, 12 ounces of beer drunk on a daily basis will increase good cholesterol. Higher HDL levels will prevent heart disease.
- Reduces the risk of heart disease – Beer contains phenol, a natural antioxidant which can alleviate the heart disease risk. Beer prevents coronary heart disease. The findings of a research in Italy revealed that people who consume a glass of beer daily have lesser heart disease risk. A study by NIAAA reveals a decrease of 20 to 40% in coronary artery disease among beer drinkers.
- Alleviates the risk of kidney stones formation – Since beer contains water content majorly, it eliminates the toxins from the body and ensures proper functioning of kidneys. According to a research study, drinking a bottle of beer daily will reduce kidney stones formation risk by 40%.
- Develops a strong immune system – Beer contains antimicrobial properties, which will effectively combat diseases and build strong immunity.
- Decreases the risk of cancer – Beer possesses strong anti-cancer properties as it contains xanthohumol, a powerful antioxidant that will inhibit the cancerous enzymes in the body. Some studies have specified that beer will reduce prostate cancer risk in men if they consume beer in moderate amounts.
- Improves blood circulation – Beer prevents hardening of arteries and this ensures proper flow of blood.
- Beer prevents a reduction in bone density and it’s also rich in flavonoids.
- Moreover, multiple studies reveal 50% decrease in stroke risk among moderate beer drinkers. ASA (American Stroke Association) recommends 2 drinks per day for health benefits.
- The presence of protein in beer nourishes and strengthens the hair. It repairs the damages caused due to dryness and adds a sensational shine.
- Beer contains antioxidant compounds, vitamins and proteins that enhance the complexion of skin. It controls the adverse outcomes of free radicals and prevents premature ageing.
Cons of Drinking Beer
- Development of a big belly – Generally, this complaint is familiar among masses, immaterial of whether he/she is an alcoholic or non-alcoholic. People, accustomed to consuming beer on a regular basis, maybe daily or weekly will develop a big beer belly.
- An irritating diuretic – If a person consumes just a couple of glasses of beer, the immediate urge to urinate happens. This is very bad for people, majorly in sports professions like athletics.
- Raises blood pressure levels – Excessive beer consumption on a regular basis will increase blood pressure levels. For instance, if a person takes 40 g of beer daily, his/her blood pressure levels will rise significantly.
- Cause Heartburn – Beer has strong stimulators of gastric acid secretion wherein they will induce gastroesophageal reflux and generate heartburn.
- Affects the motor skills – There will be poor muscle control when the signals sent from the brain to the muscles show a diminution due to an affected central nervous system. If a person consumes excessive beer regularly, the nervous system will function poorly and affect his/her motor skills.
- Causes Insomnia – Through drinking a heavy amount of beer, a person will definitely face insomnia (sleeplessness) problem. Beer disturbs the night sleep of a person if he/she consumes the excessive quantity of beer.
- Cancers – Excessive beer drunk on a continual basis, for example taking more than a pint of beer daily is medically proven to generate cancer. Cancers caused by overconsumption of beer regularly includes liver, oesophagus, colorectal, breast, head and neck.
- People who cross the safe drinking limit suffer from
- 37% increase in bleeding inside the brain
- 33% escalation of ischemic stroke
- 50% increase in cardiac attacks
- 22% hike in heart disease
Therefore, if you stay within the prescribed limit, there is no harm in enjoying a bottle of cold beer.
- Beer (1 drink) – 12 ounces
- Wine (1 drink) – 5 ounces
- Liquor ( 1 drink) – 1.5 ounces