Bird flu disease first existed in Southern China in 1996 and massively spread across Hong Kong during 1997. Research studies reveal that Asia remains highly sensitive to bird flu disease due to the prevalence of poor hygienic conditions. Mostly, bird flu virus does not pass from birds to people. Nevertheless, people in Asia who came into contact with birds raised on farms were noticed to be infected with bird flu disease.
In The Article
Bird Flu Symptoms
- Sore throat
- Respiratory problems
- Fever muscle aches
- Runny nose
Cause of Bird Flu
- Bird Flu or Avian influenza is an illness caused by an H5N1 virus
- Bird flu spreads amongst humans if they come into contact with infected bird faeces and nasal or oral secretion
People with bird flu disease generally undergo tests like Chest X-ray, white blood cell differential, nasopharyngeal culture and auscultation.
The transmission of this disease mostly happens through faecal matter and oral/nasal secretions. The H5N1 virus spreads once it comes into contact with birds or any contaminated surface. Poultry farmers, healthcare workers and people who consume half cooked eggs come under the high-risk category of getting affected due to this virus.
Treatments for Bird Flu
Generally, doctors prescribe antiviral medications for bird flu patients like zanamivir and oseltamivir to alleviate the disease level. Patients in the critical stage of this disease due to extreme infection could be kept on a breathing machine.
Bird Flu Complications
Bird flu disease caused by H5N1 could cause severe problems like:
- Massive respiratory problems
- Organ Failure
How to Prevent Bird Flu?
Some basic prevention measures, if taken by people will help them in avoiding Bird Flu infection.
- Washing hands with soap, before and after meals will ensure the non-entry of virus or bacteria into your body
- During times of coughing or sneezing, you must definitely cover your mouth with tissue paper or personal handkerchief.
- In case of usage of tissue paper, dispose of the tissue paper quickly after use. Thereafter wash your hands completely with soap and fresh water
- When you are ill, please stop moving around in public places
- Your general health must be well maintained and for those people in the high-risk group, seasonal flu vaccine needs to be administered
- Exposure to places where infected or sick birds reside will be very dangerous for you, so avoid it
- You need to maintain some high standards of hygiene while preparing meat and they include:
- Keep different vessels for raw meat and cooked meat
- Completely wash your hands with soap and warm water prior to using meat and also afterwards
- Before serving meat, you must make yourself sure that the meat is completely cooked state
- If you travel to a country, which recently experienced bird flu epidemic then avoid visiting the poultry farms or animal markets.