Do you know that Almonds was one of earliest cultivated foods? It is naturally embedded with a rich strength of various B vitamins, Vitamin E and also minerals like zinc, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and selenium. Almonds are a key ingredient in various foods, especially chocolates. It is also a key additive in some products of the cosmetics industry. Let’s decode the almond benefits.
In The Article
- If you take a handful of almonds daily, it could reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) thereby limiting the risk of heart diseases
- Almonds can reduce the risk of cancer as it contains Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that prevents free radicals and oxidative stress
- Almonds can prevent an occurrence of breast and colon cancers
- It helps our body to completely absorb the strength of nutrients like Vitamin A and Vitamin D
- Almonds possess nutrients like riboflavin and L-carnitine that make our brain function smoothly
- Enhances the strength of our nervous system and also prevents the occurrence of major diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- It ensures that we maintain a smooth digestive system
- The dietary fibre and healthy fats in Almonds make us feel that our tummy is full. Thus, it delays our hunger and stops us from overeating.
- The magnesium strength in an Almond enables us to lower our blood pressure levels
- Almonds possess phosphorous, a mineral that helps us in maintaining strong bones
- Almond is good for our skin health and it delays our ageing process
- It is a rich source of alkalis, which makes our immune system stronger
Almond Side Effects
- Almonds, if consumed even slightly in excess makes you gain more weight
- High intake of Vitamin E into your body might trigger symptoms like dullness, stomach upsets like constipation, bloating and also cause diarrhoea
- Almonds, when consumed after a manganese-rich diet could cause drug interactions. If there is high manganese presence in our blood, it can interfere with various drugs and some antibiotics
- It can cause allergic reactions to some people, who will undergo symptoms like skin rashes and breathing problem
- Almonds contain oxalates, which can induce the formation of kidney stones. In addition, Oxalates avert the smooth absorption of calcium by our body.
- When excessively consumed, almonds will affect our blood clotting system in the long-term
- Cyanide, a compound present in almonds can cause toxicity in our body which consequently gives rise to diseases like a nervous breakdown and choking
How To Eat Almonds?
Firstly, Almonds contain antioxidants and Vitamin E and they are usually enjoyed as quick bites between meals. Also, make sure you watch your almond intake and only choose rich healthy raw almonds. Moreover, consuming them in excess can lead to unnecessary weight gain.
- Try to limit yourself to a maximum of 20 almonds daily – Around 20 almonds provides 3 or 4 ounces.
- Soaked almonds – Place a few almonds in a bowl of clean water and let them remain overnight. Immediately in the morning, remove them and wrap the almonds in a wet cloth. Allow it to stay for another 12 hours and then consume.
- Flavoured almonds – Nowadays, flavoured almonds high in calories and sugar are available in the market. Mostly, almonds are coated with cocoa or cinnamon, roasted with honey, or salted.
- Trail mix – There are lots of trail mix containing nuts and dried fruits and if necessary add some almonds to the mix. In essence, you better buy mixes without sugar and chocolate.
- Almond butter – Almond butter are best consumed with fruits and veggies and it is also used with bread and toast. Nevertheless, check the ingredients for the number of
- Salads – Sprinkle some sliced almonds over salads for a rich flavour and taste. To sum up, if you are consuming only salad and adding almonds makes the meal a lot richer.
- Healthy green vegetables – In fact, for a wholesome meal, cook your vegetables and almonds in olive oil and avoid butter. Therefore, almonds increase the protein content and make the dish more tasty and crunchy.
- Chicken and almonds – For a healthy and balanced diet, use ground almonds instead of flour for coating the chicken.
- Prepare energy-rich almond smoothie – Tossing a couple of almonds while preparing your smoothie can boost the levels of protein and make the drink more fulfilling.
Almond Nutrition Tips
- Always pick raw almonds over seasoned or flavoured almonds as they are unhealthy.
- People suffering from gallbladder or kidney problems are recommended to avoid almonds as they contain oxalates.
- Consult your doctor before taking almonds along with any other regular medication because almonds contain manganese. Manganese has the capacity to interfere and disturb certain medications.
Almond - Healthy Recipe Plan
For a healthy skin, check out the recipe: